Above ground pool - green pool clean up

Feb 12, 2018
Australia
Hi there,

I'm new here! I really need your help.

I moved to a house with an above ground pool. Approx dimensions, 5 mt long, 3 mt wide and 1.15 mt height, oval shape.

I have no experience with pools at all.

It's a salt water pool, the pool looks greenish, hasn't been cleaned for a few months. I took a sample and the water looks clean, I guess its mostly the old alguea stucked there.

I have a few questions,

* Do chlorine and salt water pools use the same chemicals?
* How can I clean it so its not green anymore?
* I've found information online about cleaning the chlorine pool but not the salt one. Can I follow the same process?
* What are the safety procedures or protective equipment to use when handling these chemicals?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Sherry

Welcome to the forum!

First thing you will need is a proper test kit. ClearChoice Labs markets a proper test kit in Australia. Order one as soon as you can.

In the interim you can add 1 liter of 8.25% bleach (if you have to buy a different strength use PoolMath to adjust) each day until you get your kit.

Answers to your questions:
Yes
SLAM Process
Follow TFPC. See Pool School above.
Mainly be aware of not getting the bleach on your clothes. When you need to use acid be aware to not get it on you or breath its fumes.

Can you add what city in Australia? Pretty big place and climate makes a difference. Also please fill out a signature - see Pool School - Getting Started

Take care.

Hi there,

I'm new here! I really need your help.

I moved to a house with an above ground pool. Approx dimensions, 5 mt long, 3 mt wide and 1.15 mt height, oval shape.

I have no experience with pools at all.

It's a salt water pool, the pool looks greenish, hasn't been cleaned for a few months. I took a sample and the water looks clean, I guess its mostly the old alguea stucked there.

I have a few questions,

* Do chlorine and salt water pools use the same chemicals?
* How can I clean it so its not green anymore?
* I've found information online about cleaning the chlorine pool but not the salt one. Can I follow the same process?
* What are the safety procedures or protective equipment to use when handling these chemicals?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Sherry
Hello Sherry, and welcome to the forum!

If your pool uses a SWG (Salt Water chlorine Generator), then it is really a chlorine pool, it just uses salt to automatically make chlorine instead of you manually adding chlorine.

Don't worry about not knowing about your pool. We all started that way, and with TFP's help, you'll be a pro in no time.

Your #1 priority should be getting a proper test kit. Nobody will care for your pool as good as you will.

It's nice to have you with us.

:wave: Welcome to TFP Sherry

Follow the advise above and also start to brush the pool as often as your arms will allow. It keeps the green stirred up so it can be filtered out and doesn't let it sit and grow.

From your dimensions you have approximately 15,000 liter / 3,800gal pool.

When you get a chance you should add you pool equipment info to your signature as outlined here: Pool School - Getting Started

Hi Marty,

I live in Melbourne Australia. The issue is that i live in the edge of the city. So not many shopping options.

In the bunnings shop i got a free test, took my own water. But it didn't ask me (free computarised ptogram you just fill out) if it was for chlorine or salt.

That's why i dont know if i should follow thst advice. Ive attached the test results.
Screenshot_2018-02-16-01-48-14.jpgresults Screenshot_2018-02-16-01-48-14.jpg

Screenshot_2018-02-16-01-48-14.jpg

Hi Marty,

I live in Melbourne Australia. The issue is that i live in the edge of the city. So not many shopping options.

In the bunnings shop i got a free test, took my own water. But it didn't ask me (free computarised ptogram you just fill out) if it was for chlorine or salt.

That's why i dont know if i should follow thst advice

How can i asd tge photo?

The recommendation on that print out is a mixed message at best. I would recommend just not using that system or store testing ever again, they just add confusion to a very simple problem.

Follow Marty's advise. Get a good test kit and in the mean time add 1 liter of 8.25% bleach (if you have to buy a different strength use PoolMath to adjust) each day until you get your kit.

Free pool store tests are as good as what you pay for them.

Please see my post #2. You need your own test kit to manage your pool.

Take care.

I'll bet that the FC is really zero, but I would not trust anything else.

Without reliable testing it is hard to give good advise..... If that CYA level (stabilizer) is at all close to accurate, you are going to need to exchange a good portion of the water in that pool. If that is the case, there is no sense trying to balance until your CYA is at a proper level.

To try and keep it from getting any worse add the liter of bleach as recommended until you get the proper test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.