Solar heater- pump speed question

aqualicious

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
We installed 4 boxes of Enersol solar panels. Despite the cloudy and sporadically sunny days, with the pool heater, we've hovered around 81 by afternoon each day and hopefully we'll go even higher this week with 3 days in the forecast of actual SUN!!!!

Anyways, Hubby and I are disagreeing on something.

I told him that the pump is suppose to be on high to work properly.

He thinks that with the pump on "low" the water goes slower and the water heats up more.

I notice that when the pump is on low there are many air bubbles always coming out of the return. None when on high. (and no bubbles in pump basket either way)

Who is right?

Heat transfer is proportional to temperature difference between the incident solar energy and the pool water. So by letting the water heat up on slow speed, you are actually reducing the heat transfer of the panels. So high speed is usually the best option for heat transfer. However, heat transfer will max out at a certain flow rate so increasing beyond that point yields little benefit.

Also, probably the reason you are seeing air in the returns is because low speed usually does not have enough pressure to keep the vacuum release valve closed (assuming you have one). Are the panels installed on a roof and if so, is it one or two stories? Normally, a two speed pump does not have enough head to keep panels primed on a two story house unless the vacuum release is installed near the pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.