Considering OB in Chandler, AZ. BYOP? Good subs?

Feb 13, 2018
Chandler, AZ
We have been getting some quotes from PB, and now considering going OB. Thinking about using BYOP in Mesa, AZ, unless anyone knows better options?

Any AZ people who got quotes from PB that decided on going OB, what type of savings did you see? In my searching, sounds like potential to save 20-30%, is that a fair number?

Any AZ people be willing to share sub-contractors they used and had positive experience with? I think that is the part the worries my wife and I the most....

In the same boat except its been like pulling teeth trying to get call-backs from any of the big pool guys. They must be busy or something..

I did call BYOP and had an excellent convo but their packages seem pretty steep. I know what I want (free form + integrated spa and no water feature) so not sure if i should pay to have the
plans drawn up and go it myself or utilize BYOP for as much help as possible.

Last edited:
I used BYOP for my pool. I talk about it a bit in my "Tempe" post.

Currently we are now done w/ drawings and the design is awaiting engineering and city permitting next. Lots of back and forth to get some changes made including some great feedback from folks here. I ended up doing the middle package w/ BYOP.

My .02 cents is that for me I liked having someone who knew more than I did about the city codes and how I could maximize my yard. My lot is not a standard square or rectangular lot so we have to figure out how to best utilize the space. I got at least 1 bit of info from BYOP I would not have known w/o BYOP coming onsite and having the discussions w/ me. My last house was in Chandler and I assumed Tempe would have similar requirements but the BYOP rep (Ryan) knew otherwise and helped me out. Would I say this alone was worth what they charge it vs trying to do it myself? I think in the long term, yes b/c I know how I want to utilize my yard and had I found out the Tempe requirement afterwards I would have been annoyed.

Where BYOP is struggling is their communications. Now that UBEROVAL is saying PB's are busy it may explain why. Probaby BYOP is also slammed. I've had to really be on them about call backs, emails and next steps. I guess this is where once you have PB you've paid you just expect things to get done. So for me if the communications would be better i would say 100% worth it w/ BYOP. I am sure there are lower cost options, but for me I am currently happy with the design, feedback and overall quality of the work.

I bet folks in Phx are really starting to push the PB in order to be swimming by Memorial weekend.

Let me know if I can answer other questions.

I can't help you yet on the sub's but am compiling a list that once complete I am open to sharing.

Ok... Heading to BYOP today as I work in Tempe and they aren't too far away in Mesa.

Always planned on the O/B route but i just don't have to time right now with work and all and i really want to complete this before summer. Did summer of 2017 ever really end??

I did find another pool plan provider in Phoenix but waaay over on other side of town from me. poolandspadesigns.com

I'm in the middle of OB pool in Mesa. I used poolandspadesigns without ever having to go to their offices. All the work was done over the phone and thru emails. I would recommend them to any person going the OB route. For my pool with a swim up bar and sunken Ramada I needed engineering documents and they helped me thru that process as well.

Bigdogmg,
Since you have a sunken Ramada, I wondered how you are handling the drainage for the ramada? Are you using a dry well or sump pump? Any advice is appreciated b/c I am trying to figure that out for my plan.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick question for those who are using BYOP are you able to sit down with them and map out total price of your build? Or do you just have a ballpark and get different quotes from subs as you move along? What Exactly does the 2k get you?

Brandon,
Literally gave them 2k today and started the process. I expect to have a initial design within 3-4 days and hopefully a final design ready for submittal in the next week or so. I am going on a lot of faith on this
decision so hopefully it works out.

After speaking with friends and a few big pool PB i was told what i was looking for would range 38k - 43k and BYOP ballparked me around 30-32k so i decided to gamble a little. My salesman is Todd and he seemed
very knowledgable and got a very good feeling so here lets see how this goes.

I can keep this thread updated as the project moves along if there are no objections.

Brandon,
Literally gave them 2k today and started the process. I expect to have a initial design within 3-4 days and hopefully a final design ready for submittal in the next week or so. I am going on a lot of faith on this
decision so hopefully it works out.

After speaking with friends and a few big pool PB i was told what i was looking for would range 38k - 43k and BYOP ballparked me around 30-32k so i decided to gamble a little.
Thanks for the info. I am in the same boat I got 3 PB quotes so far and I am in the 28 to 35k range. Wondering if I should go the BYOP route. So do they give you a big list of subs in the valley? Please keep it updated!!!

Maybe i should have mentioned I am looking for a medium sized 3-5-3 free form with integrated spa. Also I am planning an in-floor cleaning system and salt water instead of chlorine. I don't think i am going with a water
feature as I plan on using the water falling into the pool from spa as my "noise generator" thus hoping to eliminate that extra pump.

Also, just going with the coping as a friends' company will install pavers once pool is completed.

Maybe i should have mentioned I am looking for a medium sized 3-5-3 free form with integrated spa. Also I am planning an in-floor cleaning system and salt water instead of chlorine. I don't think i am going with a water
feature as I plan on using the water falling into the pool from spa as my "noise generator" thus hoping to eliminate that extra pump.

Also, just going with the coping as a friends' company will install pavers once pool is completed.

Start your own construction thread if you wish more input.

FYI - salt pools are chlorine pools and chlorine pools are salt pools. All pools contain salt. Some use a SWCG to create chlorine.
Be sure to have your plumbing set so you can turn off the spillover from the spa to the pool. The aeration from that drives pH up quickly.
Also be aware of the calcium deposits that accumulate in splash zones.
Depth of 3' is really shallow. Measure it on yourself. Shallow pools in Arizona are hot water pools.

Take care.

Thanks mk, that is exactly the info i need and why i joined this site!

I just got a copy of the rough design and its showing 3-5-4 and i am still trying to figure out what the other symbols represent. This is gonna be a steep learning curve it looks like. Let me
figure out a hosting site and maybe i can post this sketch.

BMORESWIM - thanks so much for the drainage link.

In talking w/ the team, the feedback is that we can go w/ a "dry well" under the pergola and in Az, it should meet our needs for the limited rain we get. Anyone have other opinions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.