I’m ready to do it your way.

Jul 8, 2017
Baytown/TX
I have a relatively new pool and I have already seen the light. My CH is at 350. I’ve been asking the pool store why it is rising and they don’t know. Well after reading here I do. It’s from the shock they sold me. I’m going to start using bleach and I have a few questions. First, I bought a huge tub of tabs for my inline feeder. Can I keep using those until I run out? My CYA is 50. Second, do I just buy bleach and put it straight into the pool as needed using pool math? Lastly, do I need to drain and replace water or will I be ok as long as it doesn’t keep rising? Thanks!

Welcome to TFPC!

With a CYA of 50, you should stop using the tablets. You can use them when you go on vacation or when your CYA drops to 40 or below. It does go down due to natural degradation (~5ppm/month) and if you get overflow from your pool due to rain.

Do you have your own test kit? Are the results you show above yours or the pool store?
Please get your own test kit if you do not have one. Both the Taylor K2006C and TF100 have all the tests you need. I use the TF100. Get the SpeedStir. Makes testing easy.

You will be adding bleach DAILY as we get into spring and summer. That is why many of us have SaltWater Chlorine Generators. The SWCG creates the chlorine for us.

IF your tests are accurate, you do not need to exchange any water. But a full set of test results from your own kit as soon as you can will be very helpful.

Take care.

Kelly having your own test will solve many problems like the one you posted about a while back. Balanced water is Trouble Free water (see what I did there?? hehe).

No one cares about your pool and water like YOU do! Well, TFP is a close second! If you go for the Taylor kit make sure it is the 2006 NOT the 2005. Saying that I think the TF-100 is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use on a daily basis.

We have videos to help you learn how to do the tests not to mention little tips and tricks to make it even easier.

I can't wait to help you take control of your pool AND wallet! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Looks great. Follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] using liquid chlorine. Add muriatic acid when your pH rises to 8. Drop it to 7.6 using the acid.

I would suggest testing your FC and pH at least every 3 days right now. Starting in early March transition to testing FC every day. Same time of the day if possible. You will be adding bleach as necessary to keep your FC at the Target level shown in the chart.

Your other tests (TA, CH, and CYA) can be done monthly. If your CYA drops to below 40, use tablets for a short while to raise your CYA back to 50.

Take care.

Nice to meet you via TFP :)

It's a great feeling letting go of how you thought it would be, after research and realization your pool can be so much better. The guidance here is great when you need it, but you're already doing it all yourself, in control and able to sustain the benefits :)

Welcome to what's possible!

I have the 2005, but I just ordered the fas/dpd test. My numbers are:
FC:10
CC:0
CYA:50
TA:80
PH: 7.8
CH:350

SWEET! You are on the right track!

I am going to share a set of links I put together for new to TFP pool owners:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim:kim:

In case you saved a heap of money, or even just a bit, this is just a reminder that TFP is a charitable organization and survives on modest one-time donations (tax deductible in USA). There are some benefits and freebies that you can read about at: CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

You get a supporter badge by your name, and we get to keep the site free of advertisements!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.