Losing Alot of FC Each Day - Is This Normal ??

Jul 20, 2009
S. California
Hello Everybody:

Thanks to the great advice already received from you nice folks here at TFP my new pool is clear and doing well. I do have one question though as I do not yet have the experience to know what is the norm. Now that my CYA level is stable and present I am finding that I lose an FC value of about 5-7 every day. My current target FC level is 4.

The result is that each evening I use the pool calculator to overshoot my target level of 4 to about 7 or 8. By the next evening I am typically right at my minimum of 2.

I did the overnight FC loss test about 1 week ago and was OK with a drop of 1FC and a CC of .5. I haven't tested the CC level since then, but have kept the FC level above 2. As mentioned, the pool is clear and looks good.

My latest readings are:

CYA 30
FC 7 (this morning)
PH 7.5
TA 220
TH 230
Temp: 85

For my pool size I need to add 10 ounces of 6% chlorine to raise the FC by a factor of 1. The result, adding about 50-70 ounces each night. This seems like alot. Maybe I am naive. What are your thoughts ??

Thanks!

Jim

I was losing 4 to 5 a day until I bumped my CYA up to 50. Now I'm losing 2 to 2.5 a day. I'm adding an average of 40oz of bleach a day.

I agree with John & FPM. Bump your CYA up to 40 and see what happens. If that's not enough bump it on up to 50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.