Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waterline Tile Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Waterline Tile Question

We finally settled on a plaster company to re-plaster our pool so now I am trying to decide if I want to replace the waterline tiles. We currently have blue 2 x 2 which are ok but they have some calcium build up that would need to be cleaned/blasted off so I am tempted to do new tile just to update the look a little when we do the plaster.

Any opinions on the glass tile in the link below? I am reading through some old threads trying to figure out the pros and cons of glass tile but my main question is, is it ok to use this tile from Floor and Decor or is it only acceptable to use tile from one of the pool tile distributors? What would be the difference in the product? Since I am working straight with the plaster guy I don't have a builder to help me figure this stuff out and/or order what we need.

Blue Mix Square Polished Glass Mosaic - 12 x 12 - 913101950 | Floor and Decor

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waterline Tile Question

I may have answered my own question after reading more posts. Sounds like the consensus is that small tiles with mesh backing is a bad idea.

3. Back To Top    #3

They sure are pretty!!! I hope you find some that you can use! You will need to make sure they can be used where they would be in the water 24/7.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

We did the tile when we refinished the interior and are super happy with the results. We originally wanted small tiles but our PB talked us out of that due to the amount of grout they require. We ended up using 6"x6" tile that looks great with the coping pavers that we used.

Now that I don't have leaking grout work around my tiles, I've had to figure out how to drain the pool when it rains, something we've never had to do before!
    Ponce Inlet FL. 10,000 gal Pebble Finish. Saltwater-T3 Cell, Screened Enclosure. TriStar VS900 Pump, Hayward Swim Clear 100 Filter, Hayward Easy Temp 125000 BTU Heat Pump, 2 X ColorLogic 320 LED Lights.

5. Back To Top    #5

might want to check into lightstream?
    Pool: IG, 590sq ft, Tahoe Blue pebble finish, Pentair 160332 Cartridge Filter, 3 Pentair 3HP VS pumps. Pentair IC60 SWG, Pentair HD Heater, Solar to be added later. Currently being built (will finish Summer 2018). Accessories: Grotto/Cave, grotto slide, rock wall with waterfalls and fire feature, 1 LED bubblers, 4 Luminars, Aeromist foggers, 5 Color Changing 5G LED lights, Intellitouch Automation.