Arlington, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
My current setup includes a Pentair WhisperFlo Dual Speed WFDS-24 Pump connected to a 48 square foot DE filter through 1.5 inch PVC and a 1.5 inch multiport valve. I run the pump on low speed except for priming and it works great. I only need to run it for 12 hours on low speed in the summer. On high speed, I am pretty sure I am exceeding the max flow rate of the multiport valve - it makes a rattling sound when running the pump at high speed (which I rarely do).

I am looking at replacing my filter with a newer (used) 60 square foot DE filter. I wish to continue to use my pump on low speed. Will going from 48 to 60 square foot cause any issues? Should I really be using 2 inch PVC instead of 1.5 inch? I'm probably looking at some level of re-plumbing because I doubt I'd be lucky enough for the new filter bulkheads to line up perfectly with my existing plumbing. Both my current filter and the newer filter bulkheads are 7.5" apart.

I posted some of this in another thread (link below) but I figured I'd simplify my questions:
https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/155640-Replace-old-DE-Filter-Grids-or-buy-new-filter

Thanks,
Robert

Robert,

No problems at all... Slow speeds and larger filters work best...

It will just mean you can go longer between cleanings.

Going to 2" plumbing will not give you any real advantage over 1.5" except it might make re-plumbing your pad easier, depending on what all you have to replace.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.