Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Appropriate Pump / Filter / Plumbing Combination

1. Back To Top    #1

Appropriate Pump / Filter / Plumbing Combination

My current setup includes a Pentair WhisperFlo Dual Speed WFDS-24 Pump connected to a 48 square foot DE filter through 1.5 inch PVC and a 1.5 inch multiport valve. I run the pump on low speed except for priming and it works great. I only need to run it for 12 hours on low speed in the summer. On high speed, I am pretty sure I am exceeding the max flow rate of the multiport valve - it makes a rattling sound when running the pump at high speed (which I rarely do).

I am looking at replacing my filter with a newer (used) 60 square foot DE filter. I wish to continue to use my pump on low speed. Will going from 48 to 60 square foot cause any issues? Should I really be using 2 inch PVC instead of 1.5 inch? I'm probably looking at some level of re-plumbing because I doubt I'd be lucky enough for the new filter bulkheads to line up perfectly with my existing plumbing. Both my current filter and the newer filter bulkheads are 7.5" apart.

I posted some of this in another thread (link below) but I figured I'd simplify my questions:
    https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...buy-new-filter

Thanks,
    Robert
    27,000 Plaster IG Pool
    DE Filter, 48 sq ft
    Pentair WhisperFlo two speed 1 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Appropriate Pump / Filter / Plumbing Combination

Robert,

No problems at all... Slow speeds and larger filters work best...

It will just mean you can go longer between cleanings.

Going to 2" plumbing will not give you any real advantage over 1.5" except it might make re-plumbing your pad easier, depending on what all you have to replace.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.