Why am I getting a TA reading of 20?

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Hi,

I try to keep tabs on where the balancing numbers are during the off season. The last reading was taken in December and was 120. Today, however, I'm getting 20. Obviously this can't be right and yet I did it several times. For one thing, the pool surface is basically covered with ice but is fairly easily broken through with the grommet tool I use to release the cover straps. So I punched through and cleared a large enough area to get my cover pump down into the pump to bring the water level back down below the tiles.

Could the ice melting account for the inaccurate reading? I had a similar experience with trying to get a pH reading - first time was 7.6 and second time would have been somewhere way over 8. Typically, I agitate the entire surface of the water for several minutes (kayak paddle works great!) before taking readings. Don't recall ever trying to take readings while the pool is frozen before but thought I'd try it just to see what I get. I use a Taylor K-2006 kit. I was going to also try and get a CH reading but figured that'd probably be way off as well.

Thanks for any thoughts on this. I suppose I'll just wait until the pool is free of ice to check it again.

Normally the only test that really has an adverse reaction to cold water is the CYA test. The others should be relatively stable. I suspect the lack of water movement/mixing before pulling a sample may be your biggest contributor to the odd readings.

Also, it's good to make sure that the tip of the bottle on R-008 is wiped clean. Static electricity has been known to effect the size of the drops thus skewing your TA reading. Some folks find it useful to wipe the tip of the bottle after each drop.

Ice and snow melt will add a lot of low TA to the pool surface water. A canoe paddle really isn’t going to give you the mixing you need.

Drop the cover pump to the bottom of the pool surface and pull some water up from the deep end. That water is going to be more indicative of your true TA.

Did you ever get the biguanide/peroxide test kit for the up-coming season?

Maybe it's my inexperience with Baquacil here, but what's the point of checking the water when the pool is frozen? I assume you have disconnected the pump & drained the filter?

I don't see how you could have the proper circulation to test & properly add/mix chemicals to adjust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.