Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wrong Grout Color

1. Back To Top    #1

Wrong Grout Color

Hi there everyone I am new to the forum! I am currently building a pool in the North Dallas area. This not how I wanted my first post to be. Well here goes.

We we had our water line tile installed yesterday which was a pretty cold day here. The tile guys assured us it was ok. So let’s now talk about the problem. The grout is the wrong color!! It is suppose to be a tan color. I am not sure what my options are. Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Derrick8147; 02-11-2018 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wrong Grout Color

Welcome to the forum!
    Speak with your pool builder. Did you have the grout color documented? Only way to change it is to remove the tile and start over.

Take care
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

What color was installed?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes we have it all documented. I was afraid of that. Also should the grout be a sanded grout or unsanded? We are not using glass tiles.

- - - Updated - - -

Biscuit is the color installed. It should have been a tan/ cafe color.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you can't live with it, you're going to have to get the contractor to redo it.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

We have a different tile going on our fire and water feature wall that has tan edging. I don’t think the white( biscuit) will match very well.

7. Back To Top    #7

If the contractor made an error that you're not going to be happy with, then it's on them to make it right.

What color is the tile?

Do you have a picture?
    Support the site

8. Back To Top    #8

I will try and post pics in the morning. I am not able to get them to post from my phone right now. It is QDI Lagoon Venezia on the waterline and the back columns are from Noble tile NWSP 138 Maluku.

9. Back To Top    #9

If the tile is 6x6 with straight grout, the builder might be able to cut out the grout and redo it.

Ultimately, it comes down to how important it is to you. If it's got to be how you want it, then it can be done.

Let's see what the builder says.
    Support the site

10. Back To Top    #10

Pics please..............if it is documented then they should make it right........it is up to you what you will accept as "right"....remove and redo or $$ back for their mess up.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Wrong Grout Color

When we had our pool built we choose a tile that didnít look the same when they installed it as the sample did. We didnít like it and our builder understood . They removed it and installed a new tile we actually liked more. They did not give us any problems.
    Built 9/2016 -10k pool, IG Concrete pool/spa - travertine coping/deck - All Pentair Equipment - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filter-Master Heater 400,000- Pump Intelliflo vst - color plaster - rebel cleaner- Auto -tablet-Chlorinator -Screen logic connect- variable pump - Test Kit Taylor 100.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick8147 View Post
    Also should the grout be a sanded grout or unsanded?
    Depends on how wide the grout joints are, with joints <1/8" requiring unsanded, and wider joints requiring sanded. Waterline tile is generally installed with narrow joints to minimize the rough surface for mineral deposits to cling to.
    Currently renovating 1970's era IG 34'x18' rectangular sports pool with 6'x10' baja shelf
    22,000 gal, Triton II TR-60 sand filter, antique Sta-rite pump