Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bio pool build help

1. Back To Top    #1

Bio pool build help

Hello from Australia.
    So, my wife and i bought our house over 10 years ago and have since had 2 kids born here. We have an inground pool that is massive and old. After some research I've decided to create a bio pool or natural pool. I've dug the sides fir the filter beds and now its time to think about the main pool. It is currently, im pretty sure, concrete and plaster which is chalking up a fair bit. It used to be a salt pool but our rain and temperatures made it a pain to keep up. Hence the change. My main question at this stage is " what should i paint it with given that irs going to be a freshwater pool?"
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bio pool build help

We are a place to care for your pool using chlorine as seen here:

TFPC for Beginners

We don't do the "natural" type of pools. If you do a search you will find some threads covering this. Use the white box at the top of the page.

Kim TFP MOD
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, paint is not a good choice. Plaster is a good choice.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

As Kim said, this not a forum for natural swimming pools (NSPs) as they require a level of expertise that no one here has. They have very strict requirements for regeneration zone size and drainage versus pool volume. I suggest you contact a local builder in your area to see how to properly construct an NSP.

Also, most NSPs are constructed with an EPDM rubber liner to help retard algae growth in the pool and make it easier to dislodge and sweep away. A concrete surface would be bad for an NSP as it will allow algae to attach and grow making it harder to remove.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Dragon,

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to find answers to almost everything but Natural pool questions...

Rain and temperature should really have very little effect on a Saltwater pool. I suspect that any problems with your pool were related to a misunderstanding on how saltwater pools should be maintained much more than the weather..

I hope your project works well for you, but if you ever decide to convert back to a sanitized pool, just let us know and we will get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I agree with Jim and to follow-up... You aren't too late to reconsider and just re-plaster that beauty (seriously I love it!) and maintain it super easy using the common sense methods here, using a SWCG or bleach. Folks everywhere will have success with our very solid science approach. Our US sunbelt and desert areas match Australia (at least the occupied areas) for sun/heat, so no worries there.

Natural pools are clearly something that people find appropriate for them in many areas. I'd just want to be sure you are making the change away from chlorine for the correct reasons and not based on incorrect assumptions. But we always respect the choices that pool owners make.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!