allergic to hot tub

I am also allergic to bromine, though in me it triggers an asthma-like effect. Switch to chlorine to maintain your HT and your hubby should be fine so lng as your sanitization level is adequate. Usually, rashes in hot tubs mean ineffective sanitization levels.

Breaks out immediately or after hours to days?

When was the last water change?

Do you use a non chlorine oxidizer?

it used to be a day but now he can feel it that night and he's really itchy and then it progresses to round rashes. We change the water regularly. As a matter of fact, it was just drained last night. I don't know if we have a nonchlorine oxidizer. I will as the husband but I'm fairly sure we have an oxidzier with the hot tub?

- - - Updated - - -

I am also allergic to bromine, though in me it triggers an asthma-like effect. Switch to chlorine to maintain your HT and your hubby should be fine so lng as your sanitization level is adequate. Usually, rashes in hot tubs mean ineffective sanitization levels.

yeah, I would think that too but we keep an eye on it. Also, he's the only one.

A delay usually is more indicative of bacteria. Maybe an ahhsome purge would help.

Maybe try chlorine for a while.

Non-chlorine oxidizer is usually MPS powder.

Bromine tabs contain DMH, which can reduce the effectiveness of the bromine in a way that's similar to how CYA reduces the effectiveness of chlorine.

Maybe try reducing or eliminating bromine tabs.

Once you add sodium bromide, you can oxidize it to bromine using sodium hypochlorite (liquid chlorine) to maintain bromine levels without adding DMH.

An allergic reaction would be more broadly pronounced. Anytime you see spots that develop circular patterns, that’s usually a pathogen. It could be pseudomonas bacteria but it could also be folliculitis caused by any number of bacteria or it could be a fungal infection. You and others in the tub may simply have a higher degree of immunity to it and so you are unaffected. My wife is highly susceptible to Strep Throat (streptococcus bacteria) and sore throats that the kids bring home will almost instantly cause her strep. Me, I don’t think I’ve ever had a case of strep throat in my life. Considering we’re married and live together, her strep throat can easily cross over to me and I have yet to ever require antibiotics for a sore throat. Strep simply likes her a lot better than me ;)

Does the rash go away on its own or does he have have treat it with something like a topical antibacterial (neosporin)?

I agree with JamesW, it sounds pathogenic and you could have biofilms in your hot tub plumbing. Biofilms act as a reservoir for bacteria and they can not be removed by shock treatments. I suggest you investigate Ahh-some as a plumbing purge. It’s a very powerful surfactant and clarifier that lifts biofilms off of plumbing surfaces.

The rash should probably be evaluated by a doctor in any case.
it was. as usual, no idea.

- - - Updated - - -

An allergic reaction would be more broadly pronounced. Anytime you see spots that develop circular patterns, that’s usually a pathogen. It could be pseudomonas bacteria but it could also be folliculitis caused by any number of bacteria or it could be a fungal infection. You and others in the tub may simply have a higher degree of immunity to it and so you are unaffected. My wife is highly susceptible to Strep Throat (streptococcus bacteria) and sore throats that the kids bring home will almost instantly cause her strep. Me, I don’t think I’ve ever had a case of strep throat in my life. Considering we’re married and live together, her strep throat can easily cross over to me and I have yet to ever require antibiotics for a sore throat. Strep simply likes her a lot better than me ;)

Does the rash go away on its own or does he have have treat it with something like a topical antibacterial (neosporin)?

I agree with JamesW, it sounds pathogenic and you could have biofilms in your hot tub plumbing. Biofilms act as a reservoir for bacteria and they can not be removed by shock treatments. I suggest you investigate Ahh-some as a plumbing purge. It’s a very powerful surfactant and clarifier that lifts biofilms off of plumbing surfaces.

The rash eventually goes away with some prescription stuff and he's also itchy all over. We will switch to chlorine and us awwsome the next time we drain the tub. unfortunately we just drained it 2 days ago.

Ya might want to treat the tub with Ahh-some, drain it and switch to chlorine. Dumping that much water is a bummer but not as bad as exposing yourself to possible pathogens.

If it were me, I’d purge it, dump it and redo the chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the same issue many years ago, Dr and whole 9 yards did no good. Ask him to take a long bath in your in house bathtub with just city water. Our city water was high in acids which we discovered was the issue with me. The rest of the family, no issues.

What do you mean by “high in acids”? I’m just curious if you received any specific chemical information.

What do you mean by “high in acids”? I’m just curious if you received any specific chemical information.
Pool store guy asked what i was made of when he tested my water, lol. Said i was soaking in acid ! Sold me something and i used it, problem gone, that was 20 + years ago and never had an issue sense. BUT of course now i am smarter ( he he ) and i keep the water more in line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.