Another Texas Pool...

sredish

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2007
North of Dallas
Haven't put any pics together until today. Perfect, considering it's been raining and the pool is FILTHY and the decking is even filthier. We bought the cheapest furniture we could find to just get something out there for now. We have 3 really nice umbrellas and some lounges on the way from AnywhereChair.com; killer stuff there.

First pic is from the outside. The cable up high is power to the system until the cabana is built so we can run power underground to a meter box. Not sure if OSHA would like that...

IMG_2635.JPG

Next shows the horribly filthy decking. The cabana roof (18' (equip. to pool) x 20') is going from all the way to the left where the equipment and the notched corner is all the way to 4' from the pool edge, inside the two curves. The cabana will have a bathroom in the back by the fence, a full kitchen. The plumbing is the back of the kitchen and the bbq will be on the side then a long bar running parallel to the pool out in front closer to the pool. We're dying to start on it but the rain.... you know.

IMG_2636.JPG

Here you can see a lot of the pool. The flagstone entry is 3" deep; perfect depth for my 9 month old and other babies to play. The bench runs all the way down one side and the cutout on the far side is the same depth as the bench; perfect depth to be a "kiddie pool" area and was designed for my 4 year old although in 2 weeks time, he's swimming all the way across the narrow side of the pool, under water. So much for the kiddie pool for this one. It's also a good depth to lay back and drink Coronas... Oh, and don't forget the waterfall.

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

From here, you can see the hot tub in the other corner.

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

Sredish,
That is really nice, I especially like your deck! I hope the rain lets up soon so you can enjoy it for a while. I thought we had it bad down here in Houston, but you're still getting pounded.

Good luck to you!

WOW you are right, that is one filthy disgusting looking pool and deck :wink: All kidding aside that is a very nice looking pool.

Not sure if OSHA would like that

OSHA is not the only one that would frown on that :shock: I would keep a VERY close eye on that till you get it under ground and I would get it under ground real quick.

Welcome the forum 8)

thanks for the comments.

there was loads of stuff in there you can't see in those pics... i vacuumed it immediately after. my phantom is not skimming/coming up at the moment, and just not working all that well. we still have to get some potted plants in there, put in some lighting around the perimeter but the lighting and stuff will come with the cabana... which will really help finish it and give us some storage for everything. But... right now it's pretty bare.

i wasn't sure how the shape would finish out and whether it'd be a little boring with the straight lines but i think it'll be alright once everything's finished up.

as far as the lines, yea I'm wanting to get them down pretty quickly. i do have them heavily secured and fastened, so they're a lot safer than you'd think. As soon as we have something up to put a meter base on, it's coming down and my plans are in the next week.

Nice set-up! I have similar flagstone and rocks and am using the same SWG. Guess we could be a test case for salt water erosion :wink: All this rain is sure keeping everything rinsed off though!

If that power line goes over the water you could make it into a zip line 8)

yea, not sure i'd want a part of that "electrifying' zip line... but you can come try it if you wanna.... :lol:

thanks guys, i appreciate it. It is a nice pool and we're grateful to be able to have it there to enjoy... it's like, what did we do before it was there... lol. yea, the rain is making it hard to keep everything under control in there, especially with an unestablished pool. Although, through the midst of it, I've finally gotten it to maintain chlorine on its own, got the cya up some and am just concentrating on keeping the ph in check. i've heard people make comments about swg and natural rock but i don't see it being a problem. your right tho, we will be good test cases for it.

I talked to my framer and we're planning on getting the cabana started Tuesday, pending the rain. We've made our decisions on material and want it up NOW. It'll be cedar posts, exposed cedar rafters with 1x6 tounge/groove pine for decking above with metal sheeting for the roof. It'll have a cedar main center beam in the peak and then two cedar beams down at the eave. The pool side gable will be open with three upright posts in the gable for the prettiness factor. we're thinking of siding the extr. portions with cedar as well but not sure yet. the back wall (away from the pool) will be all the way to the roof where the back kitchen cabinets will be, along with the oven, fridge and under counter ice maker. behind that wall will be where the pool equipment is and a small bathroom. I want to get an auto control system setup once it's done so it can all be controlled from the bar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
poolio said:
take the phantom to leslies and they should fix it for free. hayward changed the internals of that recently that is why it wont skim

thanks for the info poolio. there's a leslies about 45 min away and I've been thinking about that. My pool builder said he'd come up and take care of it with the warranty if need be, he just wanted me to try a couple things first. I just need to call him back now.

Very nice!!

Hey I was wondering about your home. Is that a log type home?

Reason why I ask is b/c this past weekend we had to head to Fort Polk, LA and notice in Livingston (town) they were selling homes that looked like log type home. If so, I am looking into that style home. May I ask whom the builder was or any link / info on them? How do they hold as for efficiency ect?? Thanks

I'm the builder, I'm a general contractor for residential, commercial and agricultural products. We came up with this siding all on our own. www.redishconstruction.com

Quite simply, it's a standard stick-framed house, sheeted with OSB and then sided like a normal house would be. The difference is, the siding on our house is 2x12 Doug Fir; just plain old framing 2x12 fir. They were laid out on sawhorses, then attacked by a hand plainer. We took the guide off of a hand plainer and then started gouging the wood until we came up with a look that we looked and went with it. What you see is the result.

Once the boards were "plained", they were nailed up with galvy nails and stained. The staining is key. For this stuff, we use Sikkens 2 step process; 1 coat of "Cetol 1" followed by 2 coats of "Cetol 23".

We left a 1.5" gap in between the boards and used log home chinking, the newer flexible stuff and put it in there. Use some 1/2" osb strips as a spacer to cut your chinking use by half.

Any wood siding is going to need care but I'd say for this, it's especially true. After it deteriorates some, you have to be careful that water doesn't get behind the chinking, as the chinking will shrink some after a year or so and needs to be reapplied. Also, caulk, caulk, caulk above the windows and such as water has a way to try and get in there. It's more upkeep than we anticipated. People love it and pull in just to look at it so for that, it helps us and attracts business but otherwise, I'd probably go for rock. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.