Staining on everything in pool

bjc123

Jun 30, 2016
Germantown, TN
Ok, looking for some help here. I have attached a picture of my Polaris. This is indicative of my pool at this point. I had a leaf net on and added bleach for the past few months (since mid-October). I noticed my surface looking pretty dingy. I pulled the net off today and to my horror, this staining is everywhere. It's on my return eyes, surface, everything. It wasn't there when I put the net on. I tried brushing and had no luck.

I have an Aquabright surface, so I was not expecting to see much on there. I could see some spots where the true color was exposed. Any ideas on the staining and then what to do to fix? I don't want to drain and power wash :(

1c578954-9acb-4837-98d2-8f0ad25cbce9

Attachments

• 20180211_164549.jpg
    20180211_164549.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 95
Not on well. Our water is actually some of the purest and best water in the country here in the Memphis area. Bleach is the only thing I have added.

I had tens of thousands of leaves on the net throughout the fall. I'd go out and clean off the net every few days, but I got dumped on. I was keeping bleach in there as best as I could. Could it be residual organics and something that I need to SLAM the heck out of my pool?

It's probably iron. See if vinegar will clean the staining from a test spot on the Polaris.

Then try some crushed up vitamin C on a test spot somewhere.

It could be organics from leaves. Heavy leaves can leach out tannins that can stain brown (like making tea).

I just tried vinegar on a paper towel and wiped on the Polaris. While I did get some brown on the paper towel, it didn't turn the Polaris back to white like I was expecting. EDIT- I also tried bleach with a paper towel and had the same results

If organics an elevated FC will remove it eventually. Say 20% of CYA. No real need to full on SLAM. Though it sounds more like metals.

Did you winterize this pool or did you have a service? If service, you are absolutely sure they did not add any algaecide, etc?

If organics an elevated FC will remove it eventually. Say 20% of CYA. No real need to full on SLAM. Though it sounds more like metals.

Did you winterize this pool or did you have a service? If service, you are absolutely sure they did not add any algaecide, etc?

I kept it open and just had the leaf net on there. Pump ran some every day. Added bleach as needed, but maybe not enough. I don't believe we have much in the way of metals in the water here. I guess I'd have to go get a test done at one of the stores to see if that is what it is. I don't have that in my kit.

OK - so were the leaves soaking in the pool water? As James said that could be it.

If you have a container large enough mix up a 40 ppm FC bath for the Polaris and see if it removes it with a soak.

OK - so were the leaves soaking in the pool water? As James said that could be it.

If you have a container large enough mix up a 40 ppm FC bath for the Polaris and see if it removes it with a soak.

I'll have to find a container around here somewhere and try that.

As for the leaves, I did the best I could. There were some days where it was brutally cold (20 for the high) and I couldn't get out there. On average, I was cleaning the net every few days. I don't know how long it takes for the tannins in the leaves to get in the water?

I'm still a few months before using the pool, but I'm trying to head whatever this is off and keep from being a real problem as I get closer to swimming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you are able to get your FC up to proper levels it should gradually clean up.

I think a test as I described before would be very informative

Once you are able to get your FC up to proper levels it should gradually clean up.

I think a test as I described before would be very informative

I haven't found a container to soak the Polaris. Still working on that. For now, I'm just going to kick up my FC in the pool and try to keep it elevated for a stretch of days here to see if I can see a difference on the surface.

Good to know it's not just me. How long and how high do I need to have high FC? The water is cold (40 F), so I shouldn't burn though it too quickly.
Curious as to whether or not you ever solved this issue. I've had the same problem and everything was testing ok. I'd tried Vitamin C tablets in the skimmer basket (also brown) in the past but it never really impressed me. After discussing with the local pool store guy the other day, and refusing to spend $50 (x2) for his solution, I went back at it again on the deep end stairs. I figured I'd have to come back and follow up later, but it started working almost immediately as soon as I laid one tablet on the stairs. My polaris cleaner's bag was disgusting looking. Pulled it off, took it inside and put it in a pot of water with a crushed up Vit C tab. Pure white again ;) I'll have to wait til the water warms up to get to the drain cap, but at least I know what to do. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.