Smart bulbs?

You could put any regular smart bulb in the socket but I don't think I've seen a bulb with the proper brightness (usually 400 - 500 watt) that also has wifi, there are bluetooth type bulbs that work on remotes but I haven't seen a wifi one yet. Inyopools has a ton but not wifi

I’m planning to go the smart switch route. Have the switch, just waiting to install. But it sure would be cool to do a smart bulb with color changing effects. :D

Many (most?) of the color LED bulbs for pools change colors or change between programs by turning the switch off and back on. Not sure what type of home automation you have, but should be easy enough to use your HA system to program the smart switch to turn on and off as needed to get the desired effect.

It sounds like the intent is to get a bulb like a Philips Hue bulb which can be set to different colors - can’t do that with just a switch as the light comes on at a preset white temperature when power is restored. The bulb needs to directly communicate with the Hue bridge, which I believe communicates via Zigbee. Not sure if the signal will penetrate the water. Please let us know if it does. If so, could be a great solution to get color lights at low cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The signal won't penetrate the water, or I'm not an antenna engineer.

If you get really lucky, I would say there's a pretty small chance the signal could couple into a crack or gap at the edge of the pool, or along the conduit or power lines.

I've seen enough cases where someone still got cell phone reception inside what was designed to be a completely electrically sealed room to absolutely say that you won't get a connection, but it won't be through the water at 2.4GHz.

Many (most?) of the color LED bulbs for pools change colors or change between programs by turning the switch off and back on. Not sure what type of home automation you have, but should be easy enough to use your HA system to program the smart switch to turn on and off as needed to get the desired effect.

Cool... good to know. I have Amazon Echo, SmartThings, and some Philips Hue and LIFX bulbs. Will keep this in mind for if the current bulb goes or whenever we do a renovation. Color lights are fun for parties but, for me, rarely used other than that.

I’m planning to go the smart switch route. Have the switch, just waiting to install. But it sure would be cool to do a smart bulb with color changing effects. :D
I had an electrician friend come and install a bunch of smart switches I had bought for our new house. He couldn’t install a smart switch for my pool light because there isn’t a power source coming into the switch box. I decided to use the switch elsewhere. Something to keep in mind or check beforehand if you are thinking of getting a smart switch for your pool light.

I guess some kind of snap-on smart light switch like Switchmate would work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.