Pool Salt

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
I have used Morton salt in the past for my above ground pool. I cant find any in my local store at a decent price but i found this one. Any concern with brand?
3d30ff25aa92c75ec1ef4dcfc18cdd99.jpg

Nope, no concerns. In fact most people just use water softener salt. As long as it is fairly pure sodium chloride it will work fine.

EDIT: Listen to James and Matt. They were paying more attention last year than me.

Last season we had lots of posts from people that added Clorox brand salt to their pools and the results were lots of yellow/brown stains. Salt can often be found to have sodium or potassium ferrocyanide in it as an anti-caking agent. Chlorine breaks down the ferrocyanide and releases iron.

Water softener salt is better because, by its intended use in resin bed softeners, it has to have zero iron content in it or else it will irreversibly damage the ion exchange resin. So, from a purity standpoint, softener salt is better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.