Shotcrete Application

riley00dog

Gold Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I'm wondering how hot is too hot to apply shotcrete? We are booked for Wednesday, but temps this week are quite high, with Wednesday expected to be by far the hottest. I trust my pool builder but would like to know at which point do I question the application.

Thanks.

Hot weather speeds the initial set, which can be problematic, but it can also be managed. Plenty of shotcrete pools get installed around here in the summer, where the daily highs are typically at least 35°C and often over 43°C. Water reducing retarder admix is generally used in the summer here, and whoever's responsible for keeping it moist during the initial cure has to be a lot more diligent about spraying it down in hotter weather. If it's being mixed on site or the batch plant is really close by, I wouldn't worry too much. If the batch plant isn't really close by, it could be problematic, even if they use a retarder admix.

Hot weather speeds the initial set
Thanks Jason, this is what I'd assumed. The day that the pour is booked is predicted to be 36*. The day after is 33* and the day after that 31*. It's batch concrete and the site is local. That would be me who will be chief waterer, so will water as frequently as I can. Luckily it's a tiny pool so won't take long. I'm hoping my pb takes whatever precautions are necessary to protect my shell.

That's a great idea Kim. I might pick up what I need to do that today so I'm set. Will be at work the two days after so was planning to water morning, after work and before bed but would be good to be able to set it to water in the middle of the day when it's the hottest. Just chatting to the tradies on site here and they said there's no way it will be postponed, so best I prepare for doing what I can to help.

Hubby is off to the US tomorrow as his elderly uncle passed away. Is there anything I can get him to bring back with him that we might need for the pool? Already ordered my speedstir.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.