Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shotcrete Application

1. Back To Top    #1

Shotcrete Application

I'm wondering how hot is too hot to apply shotcrete? We are booked for Wednesday, but temps this week are quite high, with Wednesday expected to be by far the hottest. I trust my pool builder but would like to know at which point do I question the application.

Thanks.
    3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shotcrete Application

Can you tell us the temps you are looking at for that day? Remember we are in the States LOL

I have a call into someone that will know.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Kim, according to google the conversion is 96.8*F. Today seems cooler than yesterday so not sure that this heat wave will persist as predicted. I'd say at the least though we'd be looking at 90*F. Thanks for looking into it for me

3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest 32 to 35 C as an upper limit in general.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hot weather speeds the initial set, which can be problematic, but it can also be managed. Plenty of shotcrete pools get installed around here in the summer, where the daily highs are typically at least 35C and often over 43C. Water reducing retarder admix is generally used in the summer here, and whoever's responsible for keeping it moist during the initial cure has to be a lot more diligent about spraying it down in hotter weather. If it's being mixed on site or the batch plant is really close by, I wouldn't worry too much. If the batch plant isn't really close by, it could be problematic, even if they use a retarder admix.
    Currently renovating 1970's era IG 34'x18' rectangular sports pool with 6'x10' baja shelf
    22,000 gal, Triton II TR-60 sand filter, antique Sta-rite pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Shotcrete Application

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I would suggest 32 to 35 C as an upper limit in general.
    Thanks James. Looks like we'll be at the upper limit regardless.

7. Back To Top    #7

Shotcrete Application

[QUOTE=MinerJason;1377770]Hot weather speeds the initial set [QUOTE]

Thanks Jason, this is what I'd assumed. The day that the pour is booked is predicted to be 36*. The day after is 33* and the day after that 31*. It's batch concrete and the site is local. That would be me who will be chief waterer, so will water as frequently as I can. Luckily it's a tiny pool so won't take long. I'm hoping my pb takes whatever precautions are necessary to protect my shell.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can use a sprinkler to help water it. You can even set them up with timers.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

That's a great idea Kim. I might pick up what I need to do that today so I'm set. Will be at work the two days after so was planning to water morning, after work and before bed but would be good to be able to set it to water in the middle of the day when it's the hottest. Just chatting to the tradies on site here and they said there's no way it will be postponed, so best I prepare for doing what I can to help.

Hubby is off to the US tomorrow as his elderly uncle passed away. Is there anything I can get him to bring back with him that we might need for the pool? Already ordered my speedstir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Since you can get a good test kit from here:

Clear Choice Labs Simple. Accurate. Fast.

You should be good. Now if you want to order a TF-100 and think he will be there long enough to take delivery then you can do that. The link is in my siggy below.

Kim

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks, think I will stick to the clear choice labs kit since it's local and seem to have good support.

12. Back To Top    #12

I think you will be very happy with them!