Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very weird Easy Touch Control issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Very weird Easy Touch Control issue

Hi there. My easy touch control suddenly stopped working. It communicates with the panel fine but the only buttons that work are up, down, and menu. Everything else (left, right, and the 8 aux) donít work at all.

I replaced the batteries and turned the panel off for a couple minutes to no avail. Funny thing is that last week it was working just fine. Is this a known issue or just time to replace the control?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Very weird Easy Touch Control issue

S,

I assume that when you say that your EasyTouch "control" stopped working that you are talking about a Remote panel.

I know zero about the ET remotes, but would assume if half the buttons work, that the communications link is working and that the problem is with the remote itself.

Let's hope we can some input from actual users...

But... now is the time to considerScreenLogic2, which allows you to control everything from your PC, a tablet, or your phone. Makes owning an EasyTouch fun and it is about 10 X easier to program and use the ET vs. using the little 3" display... And... probably costs less than a single remote.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would try a re synch between the handheld and the controller. If that doesn't work, call Pentair and see if they have any ideas.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Can you post the model number?

But Jimís likely right. The way most of that stuff works is the buttons youíre pushing on are soldered to a circuit board. If you press hard enough, or often enough, the physical energy can eventually crack a circuit trace or work a solder joint loose, which would explain why you lost functionality of only part of the unit. If you knew what to look for, thereís a very slim chance you could find the break and resolder it, but thatís mostly wishful thinking...
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Probably a RF remote starting to die. How old is the remote?

While I agree that ScreenLogic is good in theory and itís a great way to go on new pool builds, itís not a slam-dunk for every pool setup. In my case, I doubt it would ever work well because my WiFi gear would be VERY far away from my automation panel with many walls in the way and thereís no way to hardwire it to the panel. My point - if you like the RF remote and it works for you, then I wouldnít switch. Just get a new remote. Typically speaking, once an ET panel is programmed the way the pool owner wants it, it is rare to update the programming. Schedules are just as easy to change using the remote as they are using ScreenLogic.

Just my contrary opinion to the ScreenLogic crowd.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Ha! I’ve already had this Remote/Logic debate elsewhere on TFP, so I wasn’t going to start it again. But since you did...

Lots of die-hard Logic fans here. I actually have both, and like each equally, but for different reasons. I wouldn’t pick one over the other, but it’s nice to run into another that likes the remote!

Mine is actually the wall mount model, and I have it hardwired to eliminate all the wireless issues.

Thats why I was asking for the model number to see what he had, if it could be hardwired, even temporarily, as a troubleshooting step...
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Getting back to the problem at hand...

You may have partially lost the comm connection.

The comm wire has four connections. Red and Black are power, Yellow and Green carry the data back and forth. If you loose power (no lights), you have lost the power leg, and the panel will not work at all. If you loose both of the data, it will not talk or listen. IF YOU LOOSE ONE, either the Green OR the Yellow, you will get the symptom(s) you have, you may, or may not also notice a "NO COMM" in the upper left side of the display.

Comm wires fall victim to rats and mice chewing on them more often than a true COMM failure. I would check the comm wire from the box at the equipment all the way to the remote mounted on the wall in the house. I know, this may mean getting up into the attic, or underneath the house to chase the wire, but i would hate for you to get a new remote, Screen logic, etc, only to find out the problem persists.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak (Rheem, Rudd), Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Missed the batteries line.

Then i would do the same except change "indoor remote" to "transceiver" at the equipment. That cable will be easier to chase. Probably just 10' or so, but still susceptible to the rodents.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak (Rheem, Rudd), Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Yep. Seems like 90% of issues involving cables is the cables!

But my gut is still saying “China-made circuit board” sad to say. I’ll be happy if it’s wrong...