New Equipment advice needed (SWG, EasyTouch, Cartridge filter combo)

My SWCG is on it's last leg...5-6 years old. I think the flow switch is bad...cell still reading 60%, but I'm planning on replacing the whole thing. I replaced my single speed pump with a variable speed a few years back, but still have my sand filter and am thinking about changing over to cartridge. I would also like to add some control capability and am looking into the EasyTouch system w/ screen logic to tie everything together.

In researching/shopping, I see there are a ton of different EasyTouch models available, some of which include an IC40 for what seems like a decent deal. I guess I would need to get a power center for it as well if I choose a package that includes the IC40.

So...questions:
  • Which combination of EasyTouch/SWCG/Screen Logic and what's the cheapest way to get a power center separately for the SWCG if I get some sort of package?
  • Is an EasyTouch overkill for what I've got?
  • How big of a cartridge filter should I consider?

I'm sure answers will lead to lots more questions. Thanks in advance for the help!

(First post BTW)

Welcome to the forum!

With your existing pump, I am not sure an EasyTouch makes much sense. That VS pump can be turned on and off by the ET, but not controlled. You can buy packaged ET with SWCG that includes the SWCG power center in the ET enclosure.

With cartridge filters the biggest that fits in the space you have and you can afford. You may be able to get to cleaning it once per year. Not sure if you winterize so that might make a difference.

Others will chime in with ideas!

Take care.

Steve,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all your pool equipment questions... no matter what type of bird your 'Creek' looks like... :shark:

Well, I've got good news and bad news..

The good news is that all the EasyTouch units that come in a package that includes a SWCG, all contain an internal power supply for the cell... so there is nothing else to buy...

Now the bad news... your Pentair SuperFlo is not controllable by an EasyTouch. The EasyTouch is really only designed to control the IntelliFlo style pumps.. The EasyTouch controls the IntelliFlo pumps via a data cable that the SuperFlo does not have. You can use four of the EasyTouch relays to Kluge together a work around, but it changes your VS pump into a 4-speed pump and does not show up on ScreenLogic in a workable way... Sad, but true... :(

The bigger the filter the less you have to clean it. I would go with either the CCP 420 or 520, but even a smaller filter and VS pump should mean not having to clean it all that often.

Here is a link to an EasyTouch 8, with IC40, but no valve actuators... Pentair Easy Touch Control System 520705. EasyTouch 8PSC-IC40 Control System. Pentair 520705.

There are other package deals on this same site... Just make sure you do not buy an ET 'Lite".. Lite means that they don't work well, nor do the taste right. They do not have a load center and fewer pump speeds and less functions.. All the lite models have an 'L' in the models number, as PL4 or PSL4..

Almost no one needs an automation in the same way no one needs a pool.... I bought both of them for my enjoyment, not because it made sense...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Wow...yes sad, but good I figured all of this out before buying a few thousand dollars worth of equipment that won't do much. Thanks so much for the details.

Like I mentioned, this all started with a need for a new SWCG. The dealer I've been using recommended the iChlor 30. Looks like a decent...and less expensive...solution, especially if the EasyTouch is taken out of the equation. Looks like it's controllable in 1% increments too. In doing a little research, looks like it has a shutoff feature when coupled with a pentair pump, but will I have the same issue with the SuperFlo not being able to connect to the cell?

Definitely still interested in changing to a cartridge filter. I have clarity issues pretty frequently with my sand filter. Guy at the pool store said I would likely be able to run my pump at a slower speed and still close the flow switch on the SWCG after switching filters, but I'm a little skeptical...thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.