Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build in Central Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build in Central Texas

Well for months I have been lurking on the site and today our pool adventure began. Our pool builder started our 32 x 16 foot gunite pool this morning. RIght off the bat, they hit rock! So, all day long, the jackhammer banged, but our pool is becoming a reality. We are really excited and looking forward to sharing more as we move through this process. Fingers crossed that things move in a positive direction. I have the details regarding equipment and will share photos from today soon.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build in Central Texas

Martin,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your new pool build questions...

Looks similar to my pool...

Thanks for letting us follow your pool build...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Love the pretty picture of the design! Kind of hard to see all of the details on the detail plan but what I can see, such as the benches and steps look great.

What I would like to see better is the light, returns, and skimmer locations so we can make sure they are in the purrfect location.

I would also like to see where the pool is going.

When you list the equipment make sure to add the model numbers so we can make sure they are big enough.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Martin,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your new pool build questions...

Looks similar to my pool...

Thanks for letting us follow your pool build...

Jim R.
    Jim,

It does look similar. What kind of coping do you have? Do you have a pebble finish?

Thanks,

Donna

5. Back To Top    #5

I like the Roman design too!

36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Domartin View Post
    Jim,

It does look similar. What kind of coping do you have? Do you have a pebble finish?

Thanks,

Donna

Donna,

The coping is manmade, I assume some kind of cast concrete..

The finish is pebble.. I like the look of the old plain white plaster pools, so the color was the whitest they had, which was a mixture of white and little light blue..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Esloser View Post
    I like the Roman design too!

Wow. That's gorgeous. The stairs going up the sides to the spa are really unique. What a beautiful backdrop of trees.

Donna

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Donna,

The coping is manmade, I assume some kind of cast concrete..

The finish is pebble.. I like the look of the old plain white plaster pools, so the color was the whitest they had, which was a mixture of white and little light blue..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Thanks, Jim. I really like the coping. I think we are going with white too.

Donna

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Love the pretty picture of the design! Kind of hard to see all of the details on the detail plan but what I can see, such as the benches and steps look great.

What I would like to see better is the light, returns, and skimmer locations so we can make sure they are in the purrfect location.

I would also like to see where the pool is going.

When you list the equipment make sure to add the model numbers so we can make sure they are big enough.

Kim
    Hi Kim,

Thank you for your willingness to help us out. I don't know if I have all the details, but this is what I know. As a first time pool owners, we need all the help we can get. I know I am freaking out for sure.

We will have two pumps, one for the sheer descent wall. I remember the builder said that one pump would be a Hayward Tri-Star 2, 1.5 horsepower. The other items are listed as a 500 watt light with colored lenses, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, Single Freeze Guard Timer, and 1 in-line chlorinator.

There will be 2 skimmers, 6 returns, 2 anti-vortex main drains. I added a photo of the build so far.

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks good so far! Make sure to get the model number for the filter. There are different sizes and you want to go as big as you can. This will help you not have to clean it as often.

See if you can look at your plans and tell me where the returns and skimmers are.

The placement of the lights are VERY important! You do not want it facing the house (shining in people's eyes at night while sitting on the patio) nor do you want it right in the "swim lane". Can you point out where they are?

Your pool and house are going NO where with all of that rock!!! How much longer do they think they will have to work to get it all broken up and out of there?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks good so far! Make sure to get the model number for the filter. There are different sizes and you want to go as big as you can. This will help you not have to clean it as often.

See if you can look at your plans and tell me where the returns and skimmers are.

The placement of the lights are VERY important! You do not want it facing the house (shining in people's eyes at night while sitting on the patio) nor do you want it right in the "swim lane". Can you point out where they are?

Your pool and house are going NO where with all of that rock!!! How much longer do they think they will have to work to get it all broken up and out of there?

Kim
    Hi Kim,

They worked again this morning and have removed it all. The light (one only) will be across from the sheer descent wall. We asked about adding another light and they did not feel it was necessary. The pool is really small, 13,000 gallons. I looked at the plans and cannot tell where the returns and skimmers are, but I will ask. There are two areas that protrude out of the perimeter. These may be where the skimmers will be. . You can see one area in the photo below. It is in front of the patio across from the sheer descent wall. The other is to the right of the sheer descent wall. They are diagonal from each other.

Ill check on the sand filter. The flyer they left says ProSeries, Top-Mount Sand Filter.

Thanks again for your help.

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks great! How do you plan to chlorinate? You show a tablet feeder. That is ok for use when away a short time but not for daily maintenance.
    See Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Take care
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

13. Back To Top    #13

Thatís going to be a nice pool!

36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    Looks great! How do you plan to chlorinate? You show a tablet feeder. That is ok for use when away a short time but not for daily maintenance.
    See Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Take care
    We are going to have a salt water generator as well. Will that be suitable?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Esloser View Post
    Thatís going to be a nice pool!
    Thank you.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Domartin View Post
    We are going to have a salt water generator as well. Will that be suitable?
    Donna,

That will be perfect!!!

Jim R.

17. Back To Top    #17

Here is a link to your filter: ProSeries | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products Note it ranges from 22" to 27" in size. Make sure you are getting the bigger one as that will mean you will have to clean it less.

I bet you are right on the bump outs being the skimmers! Good job! I like where the light is going to be. Have you seen these: 36 lip - White - PL9836 - INYOPools.com SO pretty!!! This is just one example. there are others.

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks good! We just started getting quotes this past week and Crystal Clear is coming this week.
    Thanks, Matt

Built 2007 and Sold Home 2016- 32x16 Freeform, Waterfall, Gray Plaster, Pentair VS, Pentair D.E. Filter, Letro Legend Cleaner.
    2018: Getting Bids for new pool!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by matthewrb View Post
    Looks good! We just started getting quotes this past week and Crystal Clear is coming this week.
    So far I have been pleased. They were the only company that were willing to spend lots of time answering my questions. Good Luck.

20. Back To Top    #20

Here is a link to your filter: ProSeries | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products Note it ranges from 22" to 27" in size. Make sure you are getting the bigger one as that will mean you will have to clean it less.

I bet you are right on the bump outs being the skimmers! Good job! I like where the light is going to be. Have you seen these: 36 lip - White - PL9836 - INYOPools.com SO pretty!!! This is just one example. there are others.

Kim
    Thank you, Kim. I love the colored light and will definitely ask the pool builder questions about the filter. You have been a jewel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast