Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing return jets “bulkhead” style in fiberglass pools. The best way?

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing return jets “bulkhead” style in fiberglass pools. The best way?

Every video I’ve seen as well as my local dealer installs jets, lighting the way as described in this video (linked below). The pools I’ve seen prepped for delivery are the same too. Only the dealer builds up what is likely a full 300ml tube of silicone on the backside around the nut. I’ve never seen anyone use gaskets.
    For my return fittings I am using waterway 400-8300. Waterway offers a gasket kit for these, part number 400-8320. http://waterwayplastics.com/products...gs-eyeballs-2/

Doing a self install on this pool, I do not care about speed or cost. I want the best and longest lasting connection possible.

Here is how everyone seems to do it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKHz747v5w

Opinions welcome.
    Blue Hawaiian “Wellington” FG pool 6500 Gal. Raypak 266 NG Nickle plated, 3/4hp Hayward super pump, Heater Reader wifi / app controller. Pentair 420 sq' cartridge filter. Hayward 25k SWG
    Pal LED pool lighting. Jandy K-1100 Electronic Autofiller Build thread here: 2018: Fiberglass install uxbridge ointario

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Installing return jets “bulkhead” style in fiberglass pools. The best way?

Quote Originally Posted by uxbridgechris View Post
    Every video I’ve seen as well as my local dealer installs jets, lighting the way as described in this video (linked below). The pools I’ve seen prepped for delivery are the same too. Only the dealer builds up what is likely a full 300ml tube of silicone on the backside around the nut. I’ve never seen anyone use gaskets.
    For my return fittings I am using waterway 400-8300. Waterway offers a gasket kit for these, part number 400-8320. http://waterwayplastics.com/products...gs-eyeballs-2/

Doing a self install on this pool, I do not care about speed or cost. I want the best and longest lasting connection possible.

Here is how everyone seems to do it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKHz747v5w

Opinions welcome.
    Ditch the waterway & get something from the
    SP1408 series & follow directions to the letter.. keep penetrations off a radius & away from a change in plane..

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PoolguyinCT View Post
    Ditch the waterway & get something from the
    SP1408 series & follow directions to the letter.. keep penetrations off a radius & away from a change in plane..
    Why ditch the waterway? looks like the better design to me.
    Blue Hawaiian “Wellington” FG pool 6500 Gal. Raypak 266 NG Nickle plated, 3/4hp Hayward super pump, Heater Reader wifi / app controller. Pentair 420 sq' cartridge filter. Hayward 25k SWG
    Pal LED pool lighting. Jandy K-1100 Electronic Autofiller Build thread here: 2018: Fiberglass install uxbridge ointario

4. Back To Top    #4

Pentair does one called a 542411, that has a longer body for fiberglass pools. That and the waterway are the only ones I see. Hayward only makes short body from what I can find. Here is a pic of the Pentair.

Still, I would like answers on using silicone vs gaskets or silicone + gaskets etc. Thanks.

first pic is Pentair. Second pic with grey sleeve style nut is waterway. Both are socket type
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

My waterway aversion is based on superstition, I have jackhammered more waterways out of pool decks than any other..

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Is the Pentair backside a glue joint?
    I prefer a thread, because if & when a pipe breaks - just back it out & use the same fixture..