Need help with not being able to prime motor but only on pool side

Aug 9, 2014
TX
I noticed my pool not motor not being able to prime when it's on the pool side. I have a spa that spills over into the pool and if I have it set to spa then the pump will prime no problem. It used to work fine. I have 4 drains on pool side, 2 on bottom, 2 on the side end so shouldn't be any issue with a clog. It's been running due to freeze protection lately here in TX and will be freezing again in Sunday so I am in a rush to figure out what to check. Can anyone help me with ideas?

Thanks

dr,

I suspect it primes better in the spa mode because the water is above the pump..

Then number one reason for poor priming is the O-ring under the pump lid. Either not lubed or damaged.

Does your equipment pad have valves that allow you to select the input to your pump? I would assume, between skimmer(s) and Main Drain?

You could have a plug in the pipe leading from skimmer or ???

Post a pic of your equipment pad showing your valve set up...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ah didnt think about spa being higher just making it easier. That makes sense. Yes I can switch between spa and pool via a valve.

IMG_1293.jpg

dr,

I suspect it primes better in the spa mode because the water is above the pump..

Then number one reason for poor priming is the O-ring under the pump lid. Either not lubed or damaged.

Does your equipment pad have valves that allow you to select the input to your pump? I would assume, between skimmer(s) and Main Drain?

You could have a plug in the pipe leading from skimmer or ???

Post a pic of your equipment pad showing your valve set up...

Thanks,

Jim R.

dr,

As an experiment, close all the valves on the pool side except the one going to the closest Skimmer. Put the system back into the pool mode and see if the pump primes or not...

Let us know what happens..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I tried that and it didn't seem to help but I found the problem, I noticed after shutting off the pump it started sucking in air very noticeably into the lid, even after I checked the o-ring and lubed it up. I tightened it tighter and it helped a lot but still hear a little air coming in. Guess I'll replace the lid.

Thanks for the help Jim!

dr,

As an experiment, close all the valves on the pool side except the one going to the closest Skimmer. Put the system back into the pool mode and see if the pump primes or not...

Let us know what happens..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.