Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intelliflo Making increasing amount of noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intelliflo Making increasing amount of noise

My Intelliflo started getting noisy last fall, and has become so loud the next-door neighbor is complaining. I had a pool service come out to take a look and they said they would not attempt to fix it....they would only replace it. It's four years old. Seems very expensive to replace. Anyone know if I might be able to get it repaired for a fraction of the cost? Thanks
    25,500 gal, 819 sq ft, IG pebble tech; Easy Touch 8, Intelli-Flo 4x160 VS, Pentair 400,000 BTU nat gas heater, Jandy Valves, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Polaris 9550 robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intelliflo Making increasing amount of noise

Well, it depends on your definition of "a fraction"! Presumably it's the motor that's making the noise and not the impeller assembly ("wet end"). The wet end and controller contibute significantly to the cost of this pump but the motor isn't cheap, either. Nevertheless, you should be able to get the motor replaced by a pool repair guy for about $500-$600 (about 1/2 what they'd charge you to replace the entire pump).
    Keith
    15,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool, 1.5" PVC plumbing
    1.0HP Sta-Rite DuraGlass P2R pump, Hayward S244T sand filter
    Teledyne-Laars Lite-2 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator
    Polaris 380/Hayward 6060 booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

t,

If it is a bad bearing kind of sound you can try just replacing the bearings.. If you are not a DIY kind of guy, I'd check around for a local motor shop and see if they can do it. I'm pretty sure you would have to take the motor to them...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    t,

If it is a bad bearing kind of sound you can try just replacing the bearings.. If you are not a DIY kind of guy, I'd check around for a local motor shop and see if they can do it. I'm pretty sure you would have to take the motor to them...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for your ideas and replies y'all
    25,500 gal, 819 sq ft, IG pebble tech; Easy Touch 8, Intelli-Flo 4x160 VS, Pentair 400,000 BTU nat gas heater, Jandy Valves, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Polaris 9550 robot cleaner