In-ground covers?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
So I just built a new pool/spa with spillover. My spa is about 7x11 (big) and it takes about 1.5 hours to heat up using a 350k BTU Hayward. I was thinking that putting in a cover might save money and possibly help it heat up faster. I'm not sure it's worth the cost (I'm in Texas, so it doesn't get too cold) and I'm also not sure how I would cover the spillover side. A few options:

1. Buy a cover with a flap on one side that falls down over the spillover
2. Buy a cover the exact dimensions of the inside of the coping, and float it on top of the water
3. Scrap the whole thing and just plan ahead when I want to run the spa

Any thoughts?

Drew,

I don't have an in-ground Spa, so just my gut talking here, but I doubt that covering the Spa would help much in the time it takes to heat up.

Let's see if we can get some Spa owners to chime in..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I should clarify. If it's already at ambient temperature, I agree that it won't heat up any faster with the cover. My thought is that the cover will keep the water warm for longer after use. So if we used it the previous night and the cover has kept the temperature at around 80 instead of letting it drop back down to 55, it will heat up faster and save gas.

Drew,

I suspect that might work.. Of course you would have to make sure the spillover was off and depending on your plumbing that might mean no water circulating in your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have an integrated spa and have thought about this. But we have never decided to use our spa very much so have not gone through with any of my thoughts!

The only way to make it work is to align your valves so that when in Pool Mode there is NO circulation through the spa. You could use a standard bubble cover for the spa. Each day, used or not, you would need to re-heat your spa to a temperature, maybe not full on 100F but lets say 90F, so that the time to warm it to your use temperature would be quick.

The issue is sanitation. You do not have a signature that tells us anything about your equipment or how you chlorinate. I have a SWCG, so that extra function in my automation would need to be set such that my SWCG would operate when heating the SPA (but not in SPA mode). I have never dived into the specifics so not sure if it is possible, but I think I could program it to do it.

Unless you use your SPA every other day or so, I would just stay with what you are doing. And in reality, if you like to use a SPA that much, you should get a standalone version. They are better anyway.

Take care.

Updated my signature with equipment

I use a SWG, so I would just program the panel to run the pool and spa separately without spillover.

We do tend to use the spa every day or every other day in the winter. I don't like standalone spas, plus I just installed this one so it's going to have to do

Great. I have no experience with Hayward automation system. So dive in and see if it will do what you want.

Take care.

Yep, I'm good on the automation side. I was hoping someone had some experience with the spa covers, but might be wishful thinking.

I'm also not sure a "floating spa cover" is even a thing. It seems like a cover built out of foam would float, but I just called a manufacturer here in town and they said theirs will sink. The thin plastic solar covers might be my only option, and I'm not sure those will actually do anything

As yours is an integrated spa, most do not cover them, or at most, use a bubble cover. A full on spa cover does not make sense as your spa is spillover.

You can get a small bubble cover and use that. The bulk of heat loss is due to evaporation. So by just covering it you eliminate the evaporation.

Right, as I mentioned in my first post, I was trying to find a traditional 3" spa cover that would fit inside the coping and float on the water. That would provide thermal protection and not let air out of the spillover. But...I don't think that exists, so looks like a bubble cover is my best option.

Thanks for the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right, as I mentioned in my first post, I was trying to find a traditional 3" spa cover that would fit inside the coping and float on the water. That would provide thermal protection and not let air out of the spillover. But...I don't think that exists, so looks like a bubble cover is my best option.

Thanks for the help
Sorry that I just saw your post, but Merlin absolutely makes a thick, floating spa cover that resembles more of a traditional cover. I looked into it for my kidney shaped, interior spa. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.