Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Temporary pool crack fix (fiberglass)

1. Back To Top    #1

Temporary pool crack fix (fiberglass)

I have posted here a dozen or more times over the past few years about my fiberglass crack (lol). I kept temporarily sealing it up with marine epoxy. It usually would hold a month or so then pop off. I never had the money to have it properly repaired. As quotes were between 2800-3500 to fix it. I set aside some money to have it done ASAP now, but the guys are saying they can not do FG repairs when the ground is cold.

Anyhow, the pool is destroying my house. Due to constant leaking, it keeps my yard saturated. And now my house is settling more due to it. Obviously that's NOT a good thing. So I am kind of stuck, I can't afford to get it removed (10k quote which doesn't include repairing yard). So I have two options, drain it and cut large holes in the bottom to keep it dry UNTIL I can afford removal. Or "B" try something crazy. I have no idea if this could work, but I envisioned bracing the walls, draining it and dumping a gallon of resin into the crack (its on the floor). I keep thinking if I top off the crack and let the area harden that it MIGHT seal it for now. I found some 2:1 marine mixes on amazon that come in a gallon and I am wondering if that could work...

What do you guys think?

EDIT: OK why I never thought on actual repair kits is beyond me. Considering dropping 2700+ on a guy, and my pool being "iffy" as it is. Do kits like these work? Amazon.com : 105-K Fiberglass Boat Repair Kit : Boating Painting Supplies : Sports Outdoors - this one is too small but they have a ton of them.
    In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Temporary pool crack fix (fiberglass)

can you install a french drain to get the water away from your house?
    sun-pools 12x28x4.5 fiberglass, IG, 9000 gal
    coverstar auto cover, liquid chlorine
    jandy 350lb sand filter, jandy 1hp pump
    dolphin m-400 robot
    taylor 2006c

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a well point near the pool? When my FG pool was installed they put this large round pipe in the ground with a skimmer cover over it. You can open it up and inspect the rock bed under the pool for water, and drop a sump pump down there if necessary to drain it out.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The wet original fiberglass strands will not seal to new epoxy. It will have to be cut out and repaired or it will continually crack and leak.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics