Los Angeles Build - Signed Contract

Sep 14, 2016
Los Angeles
Technically it's in Lake Balboa, signed the contract a week ago and had this design in mind.

Pool Size: 34 x 17 (swimming dimensions aka inner dimensions) Gunite
Pool Depth: 3.5' to 7'
Spa: 7 x 7 18" raised spa U shape, with 2 negative edge spillover, 7 jets
Tanning Ledger: 9x7, umbrella sleeve, should I put 2 Pentair Bubbler/Globrite? the ledge is 18" deep so water will probably be 16" so might be too deep for bubbler?
Steps:I have a 9" step before the tanning ledger, then a step at 30" going across the pool, so can stand on the step and climb into the spa
2 seats on the deep end
Lights: Thinking 3 Globrite on the pool evenly spaced and 1 globrite on the ledge or put led bubblers, 1 in the spa. Or put 2 Pentair regular LED lights in the pool, 1 globrite in the ledger and 1 in the spa.
Coping: Precast Bellecrete
Tile: NPT Artic Laboon 1x1 AT083 for waterline, debating doing all 4 sides of the spa and all 4 top sides as well, glass ribbon? on steps/benches/spa/
Pool finish: Quartzscape (Haven't decided on color yet)
Pool main drain: upgrade to AVSC Channel Drain and matching cover? Do similar to Spa with a round drain? or use the same one?

Equipment:
Pentair:
IntelliFlo VS Pump
420 Clean & Clear Filter
400K BTU MasterTemp
IntelliChlor IC40
EasyTouch8
ScreenLogic2
*Will probably add an intellichem later since it's cheap enough and easy to install.

Big thanks to Tony411LA for answering a lot of my questions and this forum as I searched for countless of hours to get ideas/research/suggestions.

Thoughts? I have no idea where the skimmer will be going, the pool will be behind the house running west to east.

I went ahead and got rid of all the landscaping as I will be installing some sort of pavers/porcelain or similar patio almost all around and just add planters maybe. I should have just dug my own pool LOL.

EBrMTnr.jpg

2QKCmbN.jpg

Qroqaby.jpg

Congrats on the new pool! As for your skimmer, I would consider your prevailing wind direction and see if the builder can place the skimmer in such a place where the surface debris would get pushed towards the skimmer by the wind. Wind changes direction of course, but you probably have a typical wind direction. Return jets "try" to push debris to the skimmer, but can't fight the wind all that well. :) The builder may not be able to accommodate such a position, but it's worth discussing. Good luck!

That tile looks like the Blue Lightwave from NPT. We just had it installed on our Hot Tub, water line and back wall.
It POPS. We decided to go with a dark grout..

I like your 30" step onto your shelf, feeling like we might have wanted to add it to our build.
Photo of the tile

63n6WXO.png

3d drawing I did on the demo software, doesn't show the first step though. I'm inclined with going all glass tile on the top/sides on the spa.

m7rsekr.jpg

Thanks, I'll ask about the skimmer location and return jets location and how many.

- - - Updated - - -

That tile looks like the Blue Lightwave from NPT. We just had it installed on our Hot Tub, water line and back wall.
It POPS. We decided to go with a dark grout..

I like your 30" step onto your shelf, feeling like we might have wanted to add it to our build.

It's has a bit more greenish tint to it, here's a photo I took from the sample I got.

WXsj9P0.jpg

Hi! I LOVE that tile!!! It is one of my favs!!!

I really like the step bench off of the shelf. That will be a great sitting area.

Bubblers-they make a great party show but you will end up turning them off fast when you want to be able to hear someone in the spa or in the area. They can be loud. They also drive your PH up. Not that is too big a deal since you found TFP. We will be able to teach you how to keep it under control.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats on the new pool! Fair warning, be prepared to wait a bit for DWP.

Nice design. Did you consider the look of a spa that is lower and has a shorter spillover into the pool (like an inch or two)? I started with a higher design and then ended up going with one that is just above the pool waterline. Very happy with it.

(As an aside, you might occasionally hear someone claim that attached spas end up never being used and are just pretty water features. I couldn’t possibly disagree more. Absolutely crazy about ours and we use multiple times per week.)

Congrats on the new pool! Fair warning, be prepared to wait a bit for DWP.

Nice design. Did you consider the look of a spa that is lower and has a shorter spillover into the pool (like an inch or two)? I started with a higher design and then ended up going with one that is just above the pool waterline. Very happy with it.

(As an aside, you might occasionally hear someone claim that attached spas end up never being used and are just pretty water features. I couldn’t possibly disagree more. Absolutely crazy about ours and we use multiple times per week.)

Nick thanks, I figure nothing is fast here in LA. I figure I'd put the spa raised so that's a good focal point for the pool, any reason to lower it more?

The spa I know we will use it a lot.

Kim my house is new construction but the old houses behind me still use poles, so they have an easement for access but the pole is behind my blocked wall.

I would try out different heights to see which one is good to sit on from the outside so it can be used as a seating place and be comfy for someone to sit on while they talk to someone in the spa.

ahhhhhh so they just need to be able to get to the wires if they need work. I am glad the pole is behind your wall. That should help a LOT! Hve you heard anything to give you an indication which way they are going to go?

DWP (utility company) just approved the construction, now waiting on the permit from City of Los Angeles. My neighbors already received dig notices.

Contractor said "It looks like the construction near power lines clearance came through this week, Gayle will schedule a meeting with the plan check department for the final plan review and to pick up the permit. I'll put you on the roster to hold a spot for excavation and then once the city issues the permit we can set a definite dig date."

Well finally some updates. Permit was do ally approved Wednesday and started digging on Thursday morning, will post some photos tomorrow.

Quick question, the pool inner dimensions are 34x17, with spa and ledger removed and last step, the pool length would be 26 feet. Is the slope from 3.5' to 7' too steep? Builder says to so 3.5' to 6.5' instead. I ideally rather have 7'. Thoughts? They will finish digging most likely tomorrow.

Builder said there would be too little 3.5' area and basically starts sloping as soon as you are in the pool?

I found this:

BOTTOM SLOPE - The bottom of the pool shall slope toward the main drain. Where the water depth is less than 5 feet (1.5 m), the bottom slope shall not exceed 1 foot vertical in 12 feet horizontal (1:12). Where the water depth exceeds 5 feet (1.5 m), the bottom slope shall not exceed 1 foot vertical in 3 feet horizontal (1:3).

I say start with 4' instead of 3.5' so this will lessen the slope.

Here is a link to a page that talks about slopes. It shows the cut out look. You should be able to modify it to fit your pool: Pool Depth - how do I figure out what slope would be?

I hope this helps.

Some photos, shut off the water to the backyard since January. Digging is going a bit slow but should be complete by tomorrow or Wednesday, not sure what the timeline is going forward yet.

Started like this:
PvxkwMXh.png

SyrXOBoh.png

Barely had enough access on the side, had to brake some of the posts on the fence.

hu8jsgYh.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.