Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Ok, weird thread, but I’m interested in people’s thoughts on kitchen gadgets. I’m not talking about some $20k mega-ultra kitchen oven that can bake, broil, flambé and massage your tired neck muscles. I’m more interested in those little under-$20 gadgets that you just love and can’t be without.

Here’s my newest acquisition - a $16 Dash egg cooker. It can make 6 perfectly cooked hard/med/soft boiled eggs, 2-egg omelette, or 2 poached eggs. It’s pretty simple but it cooks the eggs in less time than any other method.

500B2DB5-FB2B-4F5B-AAFA-FF3C51433CF7.jpg

3036622B-9BEF-4519-A373-01E39394A9F5.jpg

All submissions welcome!

Re: Kitchen Gadgets You Love

Have you poached yet?? Let me know!! - finger on the “add to cart” button..

- my fave gadget (well today) the cutting mats I subscribe to & just toss when the new ones arrive .. or is it my $4 tungsten knife sharpener??

I do not have any Bearnaise sauce to go with the poached eggs so the test wouldn’t be complete. But, I’ll give it a try in the AM and let you know how it goes.

Yeah, I’ve had good and bad cheap knife sharpeners. Weirdly enough, anytime I’ve used high price “fancy” sharpeners, they always dull my knives :scratch:

Rotato!
41JBukOtw3L._AC_US218_.jpg

Easily the most entertaining gadget we ever owned. Kids will peel 500 lbs of potatoes if you let them. Apples work, too, as well as others.

They even have an electric model now but there is something very satisfying about manually prepping ole' Mr Spud.

The can opener that cuts the lid on the side was good ......Rotato is still the champ.....the name alone makes it worthwhile.

John, what the heck is a proofer? Do you get two if you order right now?

Oh man, now that I’ve seen The Rotato, my Amazon trigger finger is getting itchy :grin:

I do not have any Bearnaise sauce to go with the poached eggs so the test wouldn’t be complete. But, I’ll give it a try in the AM and let you know how it goes.

Are you telling me you've mastered Bernaise?

I'm sad to admit that as a grown up and otherwise known for moderate culinary skills I'm afraid to serve filet mignion Oscar because I've been known to mess up the bernaise at the last minute.

Maybe its the 5-gin/tonic pre-game warmup or maybe I just buckle under the pressure of the cut of meat, but I seriously need to find a less destructive way to practice ;)

John, what the heck is a proofer? Do you get two if you order right now?

It's a temperature controlled box that you use to let yeast breads rise at the best temperature. Makes a huge difference bread making. You'll see big ones at Subway restaurants that are the size of refrigerators, but this one fits on a countertop and folds up when you aren't using it.

Are you telling me you've mastered Bernaise?

I'm sad to admit that as a grown up and otherwise known for moderate culinary skills I'm afraid to serve filet mignion Oscar because I've been known to mess up the bernaise at the last minute.

Maybe its the 5-gin/tonic pre-game warmup or maybe I just buckle under the pressure of the cut of meat, but I seriously need to find a less destructive way to practice ;)

Sorry, I meant Hollandaise sauce for poached eggs. Either sauce is an absolute must and easily mastered. The trick is one must properly use a double-boiler and exercise extreme patience with near Olympic Gold Metal timing skills :chef:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Attempted the poaching this morning. Results -

488B2AE5-0B3A-416A-8835-26383E4664ED.jpg

442B1345-B597-4467-8D59-E560CB17CCA2.jpg

317DBF33-28E5-459A-88BC-BBA4807C69A4.jpg

The eggs needed a bit more cook time (or, more water in the base) than the instructions indicated. I was, however, using store bought eggs straight from the fridge so the eggs were cold. I bet if one uses fresh egg that are unrefrigerated, it probably more closely matches their water levels. Sadly, I had no English muffins, Canadian bacon and Hollandaise sauce BUT the eggs came out good.

Sold... personally I like just a couple drops of old school tobasco on my poached... (as of late I’ve been crushing the Cholula chipotle)
Thanks!

Cholula brand hot sauce is my favorite. I prefer it to almost any other brand I've tried.

f292ef229ea95c3f3b7fcaae3bda6bc1.jpg

This is my $4.00 sharpener, purchased about 8 years ago.. in photo is my filthy garage unit, I have a clean one in the kitchen.

I have $25 tungsten unit also, but it is junk & deep in the closet, unless I threw it out in a forgotten rage...

f292ef229ea95c3f3b7fcaae3bda6bc1.jpg

This is my $4.00 sharpener, purchased about 8 years ago.. in photo is my filthy garage unit, I have a clean one in the kitchen.

I have $25 tungsten unit also, but it is junk & deep in the closet, unless I threw it out in a forgotten rage...

That is so funny, I have the EXACT same sharpener! It is totally cheap but works amazingly well. I usually run that down the knive edge 5-6 times then hone the blade with a steel rod. After that, I can Fruit-Ninja slice a tomato mid-air ...

Amazon got me too!

It’s also sitting on another favorite cheap-o kitchen gadget, I have about a half dozen “fast food” plastic style trays, ( purchased at restaurant Depot $3 each) they are great for prep containment & super for feeding my young-ins. ( 4 & 6 years old)

It's a bit more than $20, ok a fair amount more, but I love our Sous Vide cooker. You vacuum seal the food in a bag and it sits in a bath of water held at an exact temperature. What comes out is perfectly cooked meat from outside to in. We usually use it for chicken or steak, but we did a 24 hour roast beef in December and it was an experience.

As far as under-$20 gadgets, well the one that brings us the most joy is our corkscrew :)

It's a bit more than $20, ok a fair amount more, but I love our Sous Vide cooker. You vacuum seal the food in a bag and it sits in a bath of water held at an exact temperature. What comes out is perfectly cooked meat from outside to in. We usually use it for chicken or steak, but we did a 24 hour roast beef in December and it was an experience.

As far as under-$20 gadgets, well the one that brings us the most joy is our corkscrew :)

Oooooooooo!! I totally have that on my Amazon WishList. I almost bought it last year as the Sous Vide heater (WiFi/BT Generation 2 unit) was down to $129. With the 12L water bath, insulating sleeve & evaporation control spheres (aka, ping pong balls), the total system cost was just around $200 or so. I was so tempted but then decided to redirect that money to some extras for my garage mini-man-cave.

I do want to try it someday though! I have a vacuum sealer so I figured I could sear some steaks in a pan, seal them up and then let the water bath get them to the perfect internal temp.

But a corkscrew is cool too :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.