Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OB starting pool in Tempe, AZ

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: OB starting pool in Tempe, AZ

I too am OB in Mesa! I've just had the gunite done, now waiting on my sub to build water feature and Ramada. I don't know what a pre-grade is. I'd think it might be where your excavator comes out to see what he has to do, before the pool is laid out in order for them to dig. I didn't do a pre-grade. I did inform my excavator sub that I had a 2' high berm of dirt all along my back wall that stuck out about 8'. Most of that would need to be dug out first and then the pool could be dug out. The excavation crew was surprised there was no layout when they showed up and I was like um aren't you guys supposed to do that? One quick call to the owner and it was all straightened out. The crew removed the extra dirt in prep for layout the next day. Took 3 days to dig (the one Saturday we actually got rain in Arizona caused a delay).
    - Michael -
    Turn dirt backyard to OB pool - Mesa Arizona

2. Back To Top    #22

Cool! thanks. I may have the excavator guys come out or send them some pictures to see if something more is needed. Good advice Michael.

Sounds like we have a similar setup going in w/ the sunken ramada.
    In process of beginning Pool project
    18x35 pool, appox 22K gallons
    will add more as the project firms up.

3. Back To Top    #23

Having a good ground layout prior to your dig will insure the excavation gets done correctly. It is kind of a steep price for what it is but you can be assured all measurements are correct, the niches for lights and skimmers are placed correctly, steps and benches are clearly marked and they will set the elevation of the pool so you can tell your excavator where the bondbeam height needs to end up. I think we paid a guy $120 for our layout. He was recommended by the excavator as I don’t think any excavating company’s do layout themselves in this area. At least that’s my experience. Honestly we already had the pool all stringed out and could have probably spray painted the ground ourselves but I knew his measurements were spot on as he has done hundreds of layouts in the valley.
    16x28 rectangular shotcrete pool, Pebblesheen Artic White interior, NPT Reflections Cool Aqua glass mosaic waterline tile, Belgard Esprit Crema Luna porcelain paver coping and Sundeck Spirit decking. Paramount PV3 infloor cleaner with Venturi skimmer, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Clean and Clear 420, Pentair Intellibrite and Globrite lights.

4. Back To Top    #24

Thanks Tnhell. I’m ok with the layout guy and planned on one but I read somewhere about “pre-grade” and didn’t know if certain conditions need to exist in order to do this for a pool build.

I’ll call BYOP and maybe the excavation guys today and ask. If I find out anything I’ll post here.
    In process of beginning Pool project
    18x35 pool, appox 22K gallons
    will add more as the project firms up.

5. Back To Top    #25

I’m pretty sure Pre grade and layout are the same thing. Just a different way of describing it!
    16x28 rectangular shotcrete pool, Pebblesheen Artic White interior, NPT Reflections Cool Aqua glass mosaic waterline tile, Belgard Esprit Crema Luna porcelain paver coping and Sundeck Spirit decking. Paramount PV3 infloor cleaner with Venturi skimmer, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Clean and Clear 420, Pentair Intellibrite and Globrite lights.

6. Back To Top    #26

Not 100%, but I think pre-grade may be removing the top layer of your yard. I think excavation companies want clean dirt, so if where you are digging has grass, etc.., you need to have that layer removed with like a bobcat or something before they will dig.

7. Back To Top    #27

Yes you are so right! Pre grade is cleaning the top layer off the yard! I wasn’t even thinking in terms of that since our current yard was dirt so we needed no prep. Our previous pool build we took out all the grass ourself because they were going to charge us an arm and a leg to do it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12