OB starting pool in Tempe, AZ

I too am OB in Mesa! I've just had the gunite done, now waiting on my sub to build water feature and Ramada. I don't know what a pre-grade is. I'd think it might be where your excavator comes out to see what he has to do, before the pool is laid out in order for them to dig. I didn't do a pre-grade. I did inform my excavator sub that I had a 2' high berm of dirt all along my back wall that stuck out about 8'. Most of that would need to be dug out first and then the pool could be dug out. The excavation crew was surprised there was no layout when they showed up and I was like um aren't you guys supposed to do that? One quick call to the owner and it was all straightened out. The crew removed the extra dirt in prep for layout the next day. Took 3 days to dig (the one Saturday we actually got rain in Arizona caused a delay).

Having a good ground layout prior to your dig will insure the excavation gets done correctly. It is kind of a steep price for what it is but you can be assured all measurements are correct, the niches for lights and skimmers are placed correctly, steps and benches are clearly marked and they will set the elevation of the pool so you can tell your excavator where the bondbeam height needs to end up. I think we paid a guy $120 for our layout. He was recommended by the excavator as I don’t think any excavating company’s do layout themselves in this area. At least that’s my experience. Honestly we already had the pool all stringed out and could have probably spray painted the ground ourselves but I knew his measurements were spot on as he has done hundreds of layouts in the valley.

Thanks Tnhell. I’m ok with the layout guy and planned on one but I read somewhere about “pre-grade” and didn’t know if certain conditions need to exist in order to do this for a pool build.

I’ll call BYOP and maybe the excavation guys today and ask. If I find out anything I’ll post here.

Not 100%, but I think pre-grade may be removing the top layer of your yard. I think excavation companies want clean dirt, so if where you are digging has grass, etc.., you need to have that layer removed with like a bobcat or something before they will dig.

Yes you are so right! Pre grade is cleaning the top layer off the yard! I wasn’t even thinking in terms of that since our current yard was dirt so we needed no prep. Our previous pool build we took out all the grass ourself because they were going to charge us an arm and a leg to do it!

Hi all,
Been a while since I last posted as we've been working thru Permits..etc with the city. Several changes later we finally started last tuesday. It's been a trying experience getting the permits done as Tempe takes "FOREVER" to get anything done. I'm talking weeks not days. if you are building in Tempe, plan on that.

Anyway, we finally have a hole and some plumbing in. Plumbers are planning on finishing today and then steel and electrical also scheduled for this week to try to get us to pre-gunite inspection by end of week if all goes right. Fingers crossed.

Its funny but seeing that hole just gets the excitement going that there is an end to this at some point. The city approval loop had me questioning so many times about this project and timing. Anyway, hopefully we can get thru inspections w/o similar challenges.

Brandon - I used Ryan. if you want my opinion on BYOP and how to deal with them, PM me.

Looking forward to finally keep this thread updated. Please send any feedback if you see something or have suggestions. Most trades are very reasonable so far (excavator & plumber so far) that they are willing to share advice and help the homeowner.

Attached pictures of the progress so far. The picture of the tree root coming out was just interesting as it was Massive. It took quite a bit of work to get that thing out.
IMG_8016.jpg
IMG_8026.jpg
IMG_8036.jpg
IMG_8037.jpg
IMG_8038.jpg

That is one nice dig there! Now go out to the pool with the pool plans in your hands and a measuring tape. Is it wide, deep, long, etc enough? Add about 8" for the gunite, steel, and plaster. NOW is the time to fix or tweak as needed/wanted.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once steel goes in, ensure that its several inches away from all plumbing fittings. It allows for a thick layer gunnite to get all around the rebar so you dont have rust coming thru years later. One of the trades taught me that when they were looking at my pool for something else. I informed my rebar guy and he had no problem making a few adjustments here and there.

Thanks for sharing your experience Sambo888! We are in Maricopa, AZ and using BYOP as well. We are waiting on our permits right now and the bids have been steadily coming in. (Took 3 weeks to start getting bids) I look forward to watching your progress. I will send you a separate message for info on subs that you are using. Thanks again!

Shotcrete day was fun to watch. Will post pictures soon. Been watering as they say for last 2 days. Planning out coping and travertine now before interior tile guys. Anyone in Phoenix use Mike @ Pugatile for their waterline tile install? Looking for some feedback. If you have any, please IM me.

Good job bonding with your pool! Is it still soaking up the water?

Here is YOUR set of links:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool Math

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Go ahead and start thinking about the test kit. It is about time to order it! Look in my siggy for the best kit as it is the best bang for the buck!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.