Noisy pump, no pressure

tlarix

Jun 13, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hello!

Looking for advice on my pump/filter set up.

Background: We had some work done on our pebble-tech finish last week, so we've been pulling rocks and fine gravel out of the pool. Also last week, the backwash was leaking so we had the o-rings there changed. That problem fixed. In addition to the gravel we've been dealing with, we're getting tons of small leaves from our neighbor's tree that keeps the skimmer basket full on a daily basis.

Now, the pump is running very noisy and the pressure gauge on the sand filter is reading 0 when it was reading about 15 psi before. It does appear to be circulating though, I can see water and air bubbles coming out the returns in the pool. I have no idea where to start, but I'd like some ideas before I call the pool guy. :p Is the pump broken? Why would the gauge read zero when it still appears to be moving water a bit? I don't know much about the pump, the previous owners left no documentation and I don't know how to figure out the hp or rate of the pump.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks very much.

It sounds like your pressure gauge is broken, this is very common. Replace the gauge, apply teflon tape to the threads and a thin layer of jacks lube or similar. Tighten to fingertight, not hand tight. Turn the system on if it leaks then turn it back off and tighten some more. in other words, don't wrench the pressure gauge in. This doesn't explain why the pump is runny noisey.. if it's just louder than normal than it sounds like it's trying to take a prime. If its a higher pitched squal it could be bearings. Regardless if the pump is pumping water the pressure gauge should be showing pressure unless it's broken.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.