Hayward vari flow xl installation issue

kkeyz

Aug 4, 2009
Hi, we just had our vari flow xl replaced. This is my first time ever dealing with this type of valve and a sand filter. The pool has been filthy all season, so I'm looking at the valve, and the port on the valve marked "pump" goes to the pool return, and the port marked "return" goes to the pump. I'm assuming that this is the problem, but could someone confirm that it's important that the valve is plumbed in correctly? ie, I don't want the pool guy saying that the water flows the same way, it doesn't matter if it's installed backwards. thanks in advance for any help.

"pump" should have the pipe coming from the top of the pump going to it. "Return" well should be connected to the pipes going to the return. I'm trying to think what would happen if it was hooked up incorrectly. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't operate correctly on filter, and you definitely wouldn't be able to backwash or rinse correctly since it would just shut off the "return" on the valve which means it wouldn't let water in from the pump while trying to backwash. Regardless it needs to be plumbed right.

Welcome to TFP!!

It's definitely plumbed backwards :x However, until you have the time to switch the plumbing ports, put the valve on 'backwash' and you'll actually be in 'filter' :) (all the functions are 180* opposite from what they should be :cool: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.