Backfilling around pool

Jun 2, 2009
Pool installed about a month ago. Getting ready to throw the extra dirt up against the pool and slope away.

Probably 6 inches on ond side and 12 inches on the other. Do I need to put anything on the pool wall ( plastic, spray with anti-corrosion spray ) before doing this ? Once this is done going to put some egg rock on that.

you should check your local code requirements..in our town we need a 4ft high fence/barrier or 4ft high pool wall, while I theoretically could have backfilled 4 to 6 inches, we needed to keep that 4 ft height 3 ft away from the pool wall...so although I have a 24ft pool, the radius of level area the pool sits on is 30 ft..then the soil slopes upward. If you backfill more than 4-6 inches right up against the wall you lose the barrier the pool wall provides. Also check with you manufacturer to make sure backfilling would not void your pool wall warranty

dmanb2b said:
you should check your local code requirements..in our town we need a 4ft high fence/barrier or 4ft high pool wall, while I theoretically could have backfilled 4 to 6 inches, we needed to keep that 4 ft height 3 ft away from the pool wall...so although I have a 24ft pool, the radius of level area the pool sits on is 30 ft..then the soil slopes upward. If you backfill more than 4-6 inches right up against the wall you lose the barrier the pool wall provides. Also check with you manufacturer to make sure backfilling would not void your pool wall warranty

I backfilled no more than 4 inches...as per pool builders instructions. On top of that I put river rock and that comes out around a foot from the pool. Many people put pea gravel down and from what I have learned that only holds moisture next to and right under the pool. This is something you do not want...larger rock is what should be used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.