noob with cloudy water

Jul 9, 2009
Iowa
Well first off noticed the other day water little green. tested with my wally kit no chlorine and ph low. Plugged the numbers into the clac. and added borax. Put in a gallon of bleach. Tried to vacuum bottom but went right back into pool through the intex filter. Then read need to bring pool up to shock chlorine levels. Don't know what that is so off to town and bought a shock and swim from wally put that in there and water got cloudy. Ph and chlorine way high. Let pump run all night then next day tried to vacuum again little better seems most staid in the filter. Now water still cloudy ph at 7.1 and chlorine between 6 with TA at 210. weather getting nice again would like to use pool so any ideas.

You need to shock your pool WITH BLEACH or liquid chlorine according to your CYA level. See my signature for link to the CYA chlorine chart.

Keep your pool at shock level until
1) you lose <1ppm FC overnight
2) your CC's are <0.5

That will get rid of the cloudy and the green.

Also, if you haven't yet, read Pool School, especially defeating algae and shocking your pool.

well our store closed and is doing some things from his house. Might have to take a water sample in to have checked for cya. but can check the chlorine and ph and ta at home. But we will see if they still do that and see what I got?

you can but I would advise to get one now. especially with a bigger pool coming in your future, the test kit will be an indispensable tool and the experience and knowledge you gain now will help volumes, not to mention the help it will give you for your current pool and problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well had water tested and only had 7 for cya so have the amount to raise in a stocking hanging in the pool. TA was 144 knew it was high working on getting it lower. Water looks lots better than when I first posted. Don't know if it is the filter finally cleaning the alge out or me working on the TA and PH. My guess is the filter.

couple pictures of the water and new aerator.
0805091930b.jpg

0805091930c.jpg

0806091554a.jpg

0806091554b.jpg

Well got my TA down between 100 and 110. PH at 7.2 stopped areration because we got chance of rain tonight and see if it does and what it raises it to. Got the cya still hanging out by my return inlet. Water still not crystal clear but getting there. Might be little late in the season but I can use this knowledge on next years set up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.