Pool Leak - please help

May 25, 2016
Richardson, TX
I filled the pool level to halfway on the skimmer to where it's supposed to be. In a couple hours it lost over an inch and started sucking air into the skimmer. I shut the pump off and checked the connections. There aren't any leaks on the equipment pad so the plumbing connections are fine at that point. There is no water leaking into the backwash line with the pump running. I added food coloring to the pool all around the liner especially near the inlets, skimmer, and light, and do not see any evidence of the food coloring being sucked through the liner at least on walls or shallow end. I cannot get to to the deep end main drain. There is air being sucked into the pump (some small bubbles) when it is running.

Where do I go from here? Please help. Greatly appreciated.

TX,

The first step is to see if the leak only happens when the pump is running or not.

So, my suggestion would be to turn off the pump and let it sit overnight. Check the level tonight and then again tomorrow and see if you lose more than 1/4"...

If you do, then the next step is to just sit tight and see where the water level stops dropping... this is a good time of year to do it as not much will grow in cold pool water..

If the water stops right at the skimmer, then the problem should be in the skimmer or skimmer plumbing..

If the water stops at the return eyeballs then the problem should be in the return plumbing

If the water stops at the pool light, then I'd be looking at the light niche..

If the water continues to go down below the light, I'd be looking for a liner tear or a main drain issue.

I guess my point is, identify at what level the leak stops and then we can form a plan on how to find the leak..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Had a guy come out this morning to look. The water is coming up from under the deck. He dug down, turned off the pump and plugged the returns and skimmer. He said we have to wait a few hours to see if the water stops filling the hole to determine it’s likely the return line break if that occurs. If it doesn’t, it’s likely the main drain line. He said he’ll be back Monday. I guess it’s wait time for now.

Time to plug in the new transformer to At least get the light working in the meantime.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the water was coming out into the grass at a higher rate with the pump on so he is pretty sure it’s in the plumbing and not the liner.

Update: I think that was premature. The levels dropped more and now are at the return inlets. But, they are plugged so I don’t know how that’s possible. Some of the standing water has receded. We’ll see if it drops more over the next 24 hours.

And the wait for fix continues. It's too cold to do anything.

- - - Updated - - -

The good news is that in the meantime, I determined the transformer was the culprit for the pool light. The manufacturer (Sterno Home) said they will send me out a new one....so we'll see if that actually happens. if not, it's only a $70 fix.

The pool guy came back and spent 4 hours here and couldn't figure out what the problem was. Pulled out the light and plugged the conduit pipe. Water still rushing under the flagstone deck and filling the hole he dug to expose the return and the main drain line. Dye tested the main drain and no suction.

He thinks maybe the pool light was leaking and that has been fixed and there's also an irrigation leak. I've shut off the irrigation system at the main valve for now, but I don't think that could leak from under the deck considering it was installed after the pool was built and not under the deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pulled out the light and plugged the conduit pipe.
He thinks maybe the pool light was leaking and that has been fixed
Just to be sure .... was your light niche metal or plastic? If plastic, someone could plug the conduit where your wires travel and still have a leak in that area. I would think the pool guys would've noticed a break, but figured I'd mention it. If your light (niche) shell is aluminum or some other metal material, perhaps not as likely.

Just to be sure .... was your light niche metal or plastic? If plastic, someone could plug the conduit where your wires travel and still have a leak in that area. I would think the pool guys would've noticed a break, but figured I'd mention it. If your light (niche) shell is aluminum or some other metal material, perhaps not as likely.
Metal niche. The light is on the pool deck right now and the water level is just above the niche ring. There’s a hole under the flagstone deck filled with water. We’re just waiting to see if it drops in the pool and recedes outside of the pool.

I hope hes right, but I still can’t see how the irrigation water could get under the deck like that.

This is my first vinyl pool. He said lined leaks aren’t that fast and will show water between the vinyl and the galvanized structure behind it. I just don’t know.

This is my first vinyl pool. He said lined leaks aren’t that fast and will show water between the vinyl and the galvanized structure behind it.
Yes, a bulging effect can occur if it's the liner. Water has a funny way of creating its own path. I'm curious to see what develops after the next waiting period.

Yes, a bulging effect can occur if it's the liner. Water has a funny way of creating its own path. I'm curious to see what develops after the next waiting period.
It just makes no sense. He said I shouldn't worry too much, and that he'll figure it out. But, how can I not worry when thousands of gallons of water are leaking out into the ground and could damage my home's foundation?

- - - Updated - - -

And, now it's raining so it's going to take longer to figure out the issue.

No doubt there's a ton of anxiety with something like this. But with each process, each area of inspection, you get one step closer to the fix. Try to remain positive in that final outcome. While we at TFP aim to give you ideas on areas to consider, you also have someone local who is actively helping as well. The fact there is no buckling of the liner from the shell is good, at least if there was a vinyl leak it's not a gusher. Once your rain subsides, you should be able to see if the water level stays stable. If there is still a drop, just remember that the water will stop at the site of the leak. As Jim noted in post #2 above, everything hinges on where the water finally stops dropping. With the light conduit plugged, that should be out of the picture now. Maybe that will do the trick. Please keep us informed on your progress.

Thank you for being here. It’s really mind boggling. The pool guy pulled out some old plugs on the conduit line. He said it looked like it had been plugged twice. But, even after that, the water was still pouring in the hole.

https://imgur.com/a/yfLDr

You can see in the back how much water is pouring out between the return and main drain line. The pump was off. Dye was not disappearing in the main drain or light niche. The water line was well below all the return lines at this point.

Any ideas?

I (and others) will be happy to help give you some ideas, but we are also sensitive as to not interfere too much with what your tech is doing to avoid conflict. I say this because there may be some things your pool tech sees on-site causing him to take a specific action we may not fully understand from behind the comforts of our computers. :) Having said that, there are a couple things that strike me as odd, so again, maybe there's a method to the madness there that I can't see. For example:
The pool guy pulled out some old plugs on the conduit line. He said it looked like it had been plugged twice.
When you say conduit, we think electrical. Is that what you mean (light conduit)? If you're referring to the suction (main drain or skimmer) or return jet lines, let me know because we think of those as plumbing lines.

I keep going back to basics. If all plumbing line ports in the pool (skimmer, MD, and return jets) are currently plugged, there should be no leaks at all. No way for water to escape unless it was from the skimmer mouth opening, behind the light, or the liner. Also take note of the height/elevation of the hole with those two plumbing lines in your image. I would suspect that any water leaking into that area (with pump off) must be getting in there from something equal to or above that spot and/or nearby - unless the hole is downhill where water could flow underground to it.

But at this point, I'm still personally curious to know if all interior pool plumbing access ports are still plugged which should essentially rule-out the pool plumbing as the culprit.

I do mean conduit, as in the pipe housing the light cord.

Right now nothing is plugged. The water level is below the skimmer and returns. The main drain has been unable to be plugged because it’s 33 degrees ambient temperature. That’s why the pool guy turned to dye. He put the syringe on the end of a pole and down into the drain and injected it.

That hole is on the lowest portion of a negative slope. And the water line is still above it in the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate the help. I’m not trying to create s conflict. I’m asking because the guy doesn’t know where the leak is coming from either.

I see. :goodjob: Well, since the water is below the skimmer and returns, that obviously rules those out. That leaves the light niche, MD, and liner. Gotta be getting close. I wonder if he has tried pushing air back through the MD to try and create an air lock to seal-off that line - or a portion of it anyways? It's not a perfect watertight seal all the way to the drain, but should get water evacuated equal to the current waterline and perhaps rule out part of that line back to the equipment pad? Just a thought to mention to your tech?

As for the water .... nope. :swim: I wouldn't get in there either. Brrrrrrrrr!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.