Trouble removing bolts to rebuild pump- motors

My hot tub is down ~ the motor I have (Hayward) has one long bolt that so far acts like it will break rather than come out ```

Your opinion ~ can the motor be held together well ~ with only the three bolts ~ after replacing bearings?

I have another Max Flo ~ with the same problem on an other bolt```

Thanks Richard

The bolts holding the pump to the motor are probably a low grade , plus my guess is they aren’t a large diameter - translation: they could shear off easily. If you haven’t stripped the head and broken one off, I would start with penetrating fluid like Kim suggested. Kroil is another brand that works well. Can you safely put heat on the bolt with a propane torch? I am not sure what the housing is like. Be careful not to damage seals, etc from heat. I would soak it a few times over a few days to see if that would help break the corrosion

Hi ~ Excuse my ~ delay in coming back ~ been in a mass of things to do ```

Kim ~ todd ```` I tapped ~ I even drilled down to just in front of the nut and applied ~WD40 ~~~ not the nut spins in the plastic ```

I'll see if I can separate the pump from the motor & grip the nut ~ and come back with the good news ```

Richard

Can you post a pic or two? When Kim said tap , I was thinking drill the screw and use an upsized tap to cut new threads.

I think she may have meant tappy tap tap with a hammer.

You lost me at drilling in front and applying WD-40. That stuff is better suited to cologne than a rust penetrant but if it’s better than nada.

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.

oh man, I don't envy that.

I've read threads like this before.

When I needed to replace a leaking pump seal 2 years ago, I put a little dab of anti-seize compound on
the motor bolt threads and hope that will never happen.

13lb pursuasion generator will make quick work of everything around the bolt :)

I’m all too familiar with the Fabulous Blaster. That’s good stuff

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.