Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble removing bolts to rebuild pump- motors

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble removing bolts to rebuild pump- motors

My hot tub is down ~ the motor I have (Hayward) has one long bolt that so far acts like it will break rather than come out ```

Your opinion ~ can the motor be held together well ~ with only the three bolts ~ after replacing bearings?

I have another Max Flo ~ with the same problem on an other bolt```

Thanks Richard

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trouble removing bolts to rebuild pump- motors

I gut says no Have you tried PB-Blaster? Heat and tapping? Those are out go to for stuff like this.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Trouble removing bolts to rebuild pump- motors

The bolts holding the pump to the motor are probably a low grade , plus my guess is they arenít a large diameter - translation: they could shear off easily. If you havenít stripped the head and broken one off, I would start with penetrating fluid like Kim suggested. Kroil is another brand that works well. Can you safely put heat on the bolt with a propane torch? I am not sure what the housing is like. Be careful not to damage seals, etc from heat. I would soak it a few times over a few days to see if that would help break the corrosion
    18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin M400 robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi ~ Excuse my ~ delay in coming back ~ been in a mass of things to do ```

Kim ~ todd ```` I tapped ~ I even drilled down to just in front of the nut and applied ~WD40 ~~~ not the nut spins in the plastic ```

I'll see if I can separate the pump from the motor & grip the nut ~ and come back with the good news ```

Richard

5. Back To Top    #5

No good news ```Thanks for coming by to help ``` Let me think```

Richard

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you post a pic or two? When Kim said tap , I was thinking drill the screw and use an upsized tap to cut new threads.

I think she may have meant tappy tap tap with a hammer.

You lost me at drilling in front and applying WD-40. That stuff is better suited to cologne than a rust penetrant but if itís better than nada.

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.
    18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin M400 robot

7. Back To Top    #7

oh man, I don't envy that.

I've read threads like this before.

When I needed to replace a leaking pump seal 2 years ago, I put a little dab of anti-seize compound on
    the motor bolt threads and hope that will never happen.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

I did mean tap with a hammer as the heat and PB Blaster would work together to get things moving. The hammer taps helps get the things loose as well.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

13lb pursuasion generator will make quick work of everything around the bolt

Iím all too familiar with the Fabulous Blaster. Thatís good stuff

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

If the female thread in the housing is spinning with the bolt- your housing is shot.