New to the BBB Method

Jul 30, 2009
Hi All,

I am new to the site, and think it is great. Like a lot of others, I have spent a TON of money at my local pool store on chemicals, only to see the effects of algae re-appear again and again. Thus, I have decided to start with the BBB method that others here have had so much success with. The first thing I did was to order a more advanced test kit from Leslie's online. I just saw that Fedex delivered it to my house today. I also went to Home Depot the other night, and picked up 6 182 oz. Regular Clorox jugs at 6%. I am going to obviously run a test of my water tonight before I do anything. I do have some test strips (Yes, I know they are not great barometers of my water's chemistry) and they do show that my CYA is a bit high. Let's assume for a second that the more accurate Leslie's test comes back tonight and shows a CYA of 100, and CC of > 1. Do you guys think I should do a partial drain and refill with fresh water to get that CYA down to say, 70 before shocking the pool with Bleach so that I would not need to add as much bleach to get to that optimal shock level? I should say that right now, the water is crystal clear, and I put two 96 ounces of Clorox into the pool last night. I dipped a test strip immediately in after bleaching last night, and the color seemed to show a FC level of 5 ppm, or so. This morning, I used another test strip, and it seemed to be around 3 PPM, or so. Again, it is kind of hard using these strips...the colors are kind of vague. But, assuming they are somewhat accurate, I think there is some algae or other organisms in my pool eating my chlorine. I would tend to rule out direct sunlight as I tested last night at dusk, and this morning early, just after 6 AM.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Definitely do a partial drain if the new CYA test shows 100 (it only reads up to 100, so the actual level may be much higher). You'll be very happy with improved manageability of your FC levels when you get the CYA in check.

Make sure to consult the CYA/Chlorine chart to know where to shoot for your target FC.

It would also be helpful if you post your pools specs in your signature.

Good luck!

kmille1398 said:
I am going to obviously run a test of my water tonight before I do anything.
:goodjob:
kmille1398 said:
I dipped a test strip immediately in after bleaching last night, and the color seemed to show a FC level of 5 ppm, or so. This morning, I used another test strip, and it seemed to be around 3 PPM, or so. Again, it is kind of hard using these strips...the colors are kind of vague. But, assuming they are somewhat accurate, I think there is some algae or other organisms in my pool eating my chlorine.
I think these results are likely within the uncertainty of the test strips. Rely on your new kit to tell you what's going on (and tell us too!).

Incidentally if your CYA test reads >100, then dilute it 50-50 with tap water and try again, doubling the result. This extends the range of the test without unreasonable loss of accuracy. (If you've been using dichlor or tabs to chlorinate, it is likely you have a very high CYA.)
--paulr

Hi All,

I used my Leslie's Test kit for the first time tonight. It took me a little while to figure out how to use it, but I was able to test my water successfully. Overall, I didn't think the results were too bad. Here they are:

FC = 2.0
CC = .5
TC = 2.5
TA = 100
PH = 7.2
CYA = 75 (Black dot disappeared between 70 and 80).

As for CYA, I know 30-50 is ideal, but, my pool gets a LOT of direct sunlight, as it is totally uncovered. So, is 75 an OK reading? Also, since Combined Chlorine is only .5, is bleaching to shock level necessary, or can I just put enough bleach in to get it to a desired FC level? Obviously, FC is way low, and according to the Chlorine/CYA chart, it looks like I want an FC level of 8.0.

Any other recommdations?

Thanks!

Kevin

Will do. I will do that when I test the water next. I just went and added 284 oz. of 6% Regular Clorox. I just used that online Pool Calculator to determine what it would take to get me from 2.0 to 8.5 PPM FC. Absolutely brilliant tool! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure if you'll see this post tonight...

Make sure you are dosing to the "target" on the CYA chart, which should keep you above the "min" for the next 24 hours. If it doesn't, increase the target by 1ppm.

Also, if you can do an overnight FC loss test (instructions in Pool School) to rule out any organics, making sure your FC is holding....

If you lose more than 1ppm overnight, you should go ahead and shock the pool. If your FC holds, you should be good to go, the 75 reading will come down slowly over time. :goodjob:

I just went out about an hour after adding 1 full 182 oz. jug, and what I estimated to be 60% of a second 182 oz. jug and tested for FC and CC. My FC is now 11.5, and my CC is still .5. I guess I was not so accurate in estimating how much bleach from that second I put into the pool, since my target FC was only 8.5! :roll:

I get up early in the AM, and I will try to get out and test for FC and CC again tomorrow.

-Kevin

I went out this morning at about 6:15 AM EST...very overcast, so I don't think sunlight was affecting the reading at that point in time. My FC was at 9.0, and my CC was still at .5. So, it looks like I lost 2.5 FC overnight. The water looks extremely clear, and I can see the drain on the bottom as if I could reach out an touch it. But, obviously, there is algae/organisms eating up FC overnight. I guess that means I should shock it, right?

OK...I think what I may do is wait until the weekend is done, and just keep the pool at the target FC until then. It is Wednesday now, and the pool tends to get used by the kids on the weekend. I think I'll wait to everyone is out of the pool on Sunday, then do a partial drain to just below the skimmer line, then refill with water from the hose. Then, I'll test again, looking at FC, CC, PH, and especially CYA (I would like to see if that comes down a bit from 75). Based on the CYA reading, and the FC reading at that time, I will take it up to shock level with bleach.

I have a Wall Whale on the way too (another recommendation from this site). Should be here any day. I think that will help me to do a good wall and floor scrub after I shock to make sure I get to all algae sources (lights, behind ladders, etc).

Well, I have been using Clorox 6% bleach exclusively for the past week with great results. My water has never been clearer....who knew my liner was blue?! :) Anyway, one thing I noticed was a bit odd. Previously, my CYA read at 75, or so. Yesterday, I backwashed about 4-5" of water out of the pool, to about the bottom of the skimmer. I then replaced that water by putting the hose in the pool. Today, I took another CYA reading, and it was about 80. Is this type of thing normal?

Having said all this, I will say I am content to to have the CYA stay where it is at for the rest of the season....I know I will have to use more chlorine daily as a result to get to my target PPM of 9. Next year, I can always refill the pool as the level is usually very low at the start of the year when it is uncovered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.