I am new to the site, and think it is great. Like a lot of others, I have spent a TON of money at my local pool store on chemicals, only to see the effects of algae re-appear again and again. Thus, I have decided to start with the BBB method that others here have had so much success with. The first thing I did was to order a more advanced test kit from Leslie's online. I just saw that Fedex delivered it to my house today. I also went to Home Depot the other night, and picked up 6 182 oz. Regular Clorox jugs at 6%. I am going to obviously run a test of my water tonight before I do anything. I do have some test strips (Yes, I know they are not great barometers of my water's chemistry) and they do show that my CYA is a bit high. Let's assume for a second that the more accurate Leslie's test comes back tonight and shows a CYA of 100, and CC of > 1. Do you guys think I should do a partial drain and refill with fresh water to get that CYA down to say, 70 before shocking the pool with Bleach so that I would not need to add as much bleach to get to that optimal shock level? I should say that right now, the water is crystal clear, and I put two 96 ounces of Clorox into the pool last night. I dipped a test strip immediately in after bleaching last night, and the color seemed to show a FC level of 5 ppm, or so. This morning, I used another test strip, and it seemed to be around 3 PPM, or so. Again, it is kind of hard using these strips...the colors are kind of vague. But, assuming they are somewhat accurate, I think there is some algae or other organisms in my pool eating my chlorine. I would tend to rule out direct sunlight as I tested last night at dusk, and this morning early, just after 6 AM.