Multiple Cracks in Concrete Coping

What was the temperature during the day of pour?

March 16 2017 looks like it got down to 27. The damage looks like it could be from freezing during the pour or within 48 hours.

I believe that the temp didn't dip below 55 (Fahrenheit) that day.

- - - Updated - - -

We can never really tell him, but I’m putting my money on the coating being applied before moisture left the pour.

I fear that may be a real possibility... If that is the case, then once the temp fell down below freezing, maybe the water froze, then cracked the concrete.... thoughts???

The fresh concrete should have been covered with thermal blankets if freezing weather was expected the night (and several nights after) the pour.

Take care.

I fear that may be a real possibility... If that is the case, then once the temp fell down below freezing, maybe the water froze, then cracked the concrete.... thoughts???

That would be my guess. I've never heard of a waterproof concrete sealer that's designed to be applied prior to 28 days of curing. Putting the sealer on after only 48 hrs likely trapped a lot of water in there.

48 hours is way too early for a concrete to be coated imo. It doesn't make half strength until after 2 weeks. (I had a lab test some 14 and 28 day concrete on one of my projects and the numbers were bang on). I wouldn't even coat concrete after 2 weeks to be honest. The longer the better. You will even see on 90% of concrete coating instructions not to apply on uncured concrete.

I am not saying this is the cause of the problem but it could be

48 hours is way too early for a concrete to be coated imo. It doesn't make half strength until after 2 weeks. (I had a lab test some 14 and 28 day concrete on one of my projects and the numbers were bang on). I wouldn't even coat concrete after 2 weeks to be honest. The longer the better. You will even see on 90% of concrete coating instructions not to apply on uncured concrete.

I am not saying this is the cause of the problem but it could be.

BTW, have you guys in the warmer climates caught onto the use of fibre mesh?

- straying a bit, but I’ll bite. I saw you planned a 6” fiber deck on your build.

I’m not a fan of fiber decks for one reason. The reason has nothing to do with integrity of fiber..

Jackhammers bounce off the dang stuff!!!

I believe well spaced #3 steel and qualified concrete placement will survive any climate..

What was the date of the pour?

I double checked my notes, and the pour was done on 3/14/2017

Low was 35 degrees and the high was 42, for my area on North Atlanta GA

- - - Updated - - -

I am not saying this is the cause of the problem but it could be

I agree... I am going to try to have the contractor remove and re-pour the coping. This time, Ill have him wait at least 30 days before applying the top coat.

My guess is that the concrete mix did not contain an air entrainment admixture. Any concrete exposed to freezing or sub-freezing temperatures should always be air entrained. PM me if you want a more in-depth explanation. Also they probably over worked the bullnose edge when finishing. The coating was applied too soon, but it is not the cause of your issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My guess is that the concrete mix did not contain an air entrainment admixture. Any concrete exposed to freezing or sub-freezing temperatures should always be air entrained. PM me if you want a more in-depth explanation. Also they probably over worked the bullnose edge when finishing. The coating was applied too soon, but it is not the cause of your issue.
PM sent Thx!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.