Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multiple Cracks in Concrete Coping

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Multiple Cracks in Concrete Coping

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    What was the temperature during the day of pour?

March 16 2017 looks like it got down to 27. The damage looks like it could be from freezing during the pour or within 48 hours.
    I believe that the temp didn't dip below 55 (Fahrenheit) that day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PoolguyinCT View Post
    We can never really tell him, but I’m putting my money on the coating being applied before moisture left the pour.
    I fear that may be a real possibility... If that is the case, then once the temp fell down below freezing, maybe the water froze, then cracked the concrete.... thoughts???
    12,000 Gallon IG Gunite Pebble Tec Salt Water pool with Raised Spa and Waterfall Return into the Pool
    Pentair Control System

2. Back To Top    #22

TFP Guide

James is right; on Thursday, March 16 the low was 26F, the high was 54F. Weather History for Atlanta Fulton, GA | Weather Underground
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #23

The fresh concrete should have been covered with thermal blankets if freezing weather was expected the night (and several nights after) the pour.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by sezeilo View Post
    I fear that may be a real possibility... If that is the case, then once the temp fell down below freezing, maybe the water froze, then cracked the concrete.... thoughts???
    That would be my guess. I've never heard of a waterproof concrete sealer that's designed to be applied prior to 28 days of curing. Putting the sealer on after only 48 hrs likely trapped a lot of water in there.
    Currently renovating 1970's era IG 34'x18' rectangular sports pool with 6'x10' baja shelf
    22,000 gal, Triton II TR-60 sand filter, antique Sta-rite pump

5. Back To Top    #25

What was the date of the pour?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #26

48 hours is way too early for a concrete to be coated imo. It doesn't make half strength until after 2 weeks. (I had a lab test some 14 and 28 day concrete on one of my projects and the numbers were bang on). I wouldn't even coat concrete after 2 weeks to be honest. The longer the better. You will even see on 90% of concrete coating instructions not to apply on uncured concrete.

I am not saying this is the cause of the problem but it could be
    Blue Hawaiian “Wellington” FG pool 6500 Gal. Raypak 266 NG Nickle plated, 3/4hp Hayward super pump, Heater Reader wifi / app controller. Pentair 420 sq' cartridge filter. Hayward 25k SWG
    Pal LED pool lighting. Jandy K-1100 Electronic Autofiller Build thread here: 2018: Fiberglass install uxbridge ointario

7. Back To Top    #27

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by uxbridgechris View Post
    48 hours is way too early for a concrete to be coated imo. It doesn't make half strength until after 2 weeks. (I had a lab test some 14 and 28 day concrete on one of my projects and the numbers were bang on). I wouldn't even coat concrete after 2 weeks to be honest. The longer the better. You will even see on 90% of concrete coating instructions not to apply on uncured concrete.

I am not saying this is the cause of the problem but it could be.

BTW, have you guys in the warmer climates caught onto the use of fibre mesh?
    - straying a bit, but I’ll bite. I saw you planned a 6” fiber deck on your build.

I’m not a fan of fiber decks for one reason. The reason has nothing to do with integrity of fiber..

Jackhammers bounce off the dang stuff!!!

I believe well spaced #3 steel and qualified concrete placement will survive any climate..

8. Back To Top    #28

I would highly recommend metal mesh or rebar for good bonding of the deck.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #29

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    What was the date of the pour?
    I double checked my notes, and the pour was done on 3/14/2017

Low was 35 degrees and the high was 42, for my area on North Atlanta GA

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uxbridgechris View Post

I am not saying this is the cause of the problem but it could be
    I agree... I am going to try to have the contractor remove and re-pour the coping. This time, Ill have him wait at least 30 days before applying the top coat.
    12,000 Gallon IG Gunite Pebble Tec Salt Water pool with Raised Spa and Waterfall Return into the Pool
    Pentair Control System

10. Back To Top    #30

My guess is that the concrete mix did not contain an air entrainment admixture. Any concrete exposed to freezing or sub-freezing temperatures should always be air entrained. PM me if you want a more in-depth explanation. Also they probably over worked the bullnose edge when finishing. The coating was applied too soon, but it is not the cause of your issue.
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

11. Back To Top    #31

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    My guess is that the concrete mix did not contain an air entrainment admixture. Any concrete exposed to freezing or sub-freezing temperatures should always be air entrained. PM me if you want a more in-depth explanation. Also they probably over worked the bullnose edge when finishing. The coating was applied too soon, but it is not the cause of your issue.
    PM sent Thx!
    Pentair Control System

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12