Filter clogged? HELP!

Jun 20, 2008
Wichita, KS
Last night, I noticed that the return flow was somewhat diminished, so I decided to backwash my 200# Hayward sand filter with spider valve (my pressure gauge is broken and I haven't replaced it yet :oops: ). I set the valve to BACKWASH, turned on the pump, and nothing happened. I then set the valve to RINSE just to see if it would start flowing and it did. I was running out of daylight at this point so I came back to it this morning.

Now, I can't get any flow with the valve placed in the BACKWASH, FILTER, or RINSE locations. I get good flow with it in RECIRCULATE, though, which leads me to believe this is a filter or valve issue. Does anybody have any ideas where I need to start looking?

Thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking here for a while now, though.

I opened up the filter last night to check exactly what you suggested, and the sand seemed fine. I did find the culprit, though. The previous owners of the pool had, for some unknown reason, placed a cap in the pipe on the pressure side inside the filter. It must have been blown off when started for normal operation and drawn in when I attempted to do the backwash. You can image what I was saying to myself when I found this...

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.