2018: Fiberglass install uxbridge ointario

uxbridgechris, I like your pool placement. Not sure if you have a TV in your outdoor overhang/room but make sure you can see it when you are in the shallow part of the pool and also where the benches in the pool too. :cheers:

Made many final decisions and ordered a lot of equipment today.

Pentair 420sq' cartridge filter. way oversized for my pool. it should easily do 1 full canadian pool season.

Aquarite XL swg for 15k gallons

Hayward superpump 1/2 hp.

RAYPAK 266 btu. Nickel.

Heater Reader wifi controller.

Pal led lights

Haven't ordered pool robot yet. still undecided.

Should work great for those 2 weeks you ditch the mukluks. Just kidding :) It looks like a practical spec for equipment. I hate to say anything if it's already ordered and paid for, but since you asked via PM...

It's great to have a large filter, but 420 sq ft cartridge is pretty big. Here's some info for reference.
See: Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head? (scroll down to filters)

The 1/2 HP pump with 1.2 SF should draw around 450 watts which is pretty good (and around 40-45 GPM in your setup). You can probably get everything done with 4 hrs daily pump time most of the time, but more like 8 hrs in summer with the T-cell-3 SWCG if there's kids swimming. If you're paying say $0.15 per kWh, even if you went 8 hrs per day for 150 days, it's only $80, so it would be hard to justify more $ for a pump to save $20 or $30 a year.

One light would be fine for 7000 gals, but two will be brighter and more even through the entire body of water, personal choice really.

I think it's a good set of equipment. Well done. Someone over there might need to correct me, because these manufacturer websites bounce me all around because of my Aus IP address.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't find exact information, but I think that the T-3 is about 0.53 lbs/day vs. about 0.9 lbs/day for the T-9 and 1.45 lbs/day for the T-15.

The T-9 has a rated lifetime output of 385 lbs vs 210 lbs for the T-3.

That implies that the T-9 cell has a lifetime value of about 1.83 times as much as the T-3 cell.

If the output rate difference means that the pump runtime has to be higher for the T-3 than the T-9, then you have to calculate the cost of running the pump longer.

The T-3 will provide about 9 ppm fc per day for a 7,000 gallon pool.

Assuming a 3 ppm fc demand per day, you would need an 8 hour runtime.

The T-9 would require a 4.7 hour runtime to provide 3 ppm.

The pool sizing guide is the maximum pool size for the cell. It's not the best way to size a cell. The T-9 is a good choice. You control the chlorine production with the controller.

Yeh, the rating of SWCGs by pool volume varies a lot even within manufacturers, so you're not alone in the confusion. Going back to one of your PMs, I feel bad for saying a 15K SWCG is fine for 6,000 gallons, without asking more questions. I should have checked your thread and would have seen 7,000 gallons, but the bigger difference is that your equipment list here mentions Hayward, and that T-3 rating has always concerned me. I'm not bagging out Hayward, because I see the same thing for the Pentair IC15. Anyway, too much detail.

I think of it this way... 1.0 lb per day is good for 10,000 gallons under a wide range of conditions. If the T-3 is 0.53 lbs/day, that makes it a bit small for 7,000 gallons. Plus you have the benefit of longer cell life with the T-9 for not much more $.

The T-3 would work although it might be dictating your pump run time, or requiring chlorinating liquid additions on big swim days or hot spells, and it sounds like you're going to be keeping it pretty warm. The T-9 eliminates all or most of that, plus now knowing it's Hayward, there's no worry about not having enough settings. When I didn't know the brand, I had to consider having only 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% for options, which is troublesome with a way-oversized chlorinator. The Hayward has plenty of steps and will work fine. Don't be surprised if you're running at 10% or 20% a lot of the time!

If for any reason it doesn't work out, you can put in a T-3 when the T-9 wears out. It's just a software setting to change the cell size, and in the meantime you benefit from the small incremental cost to go from a T-3 to a T-9

If you can change stuff, it changes my response, cause I'm a 'what's done is done' responder. I still think you'll be happier with 3/4 HP or even 1 HP, and the reason is skimming. When you want to use the pool and for whatever reason the pool is covered in dead bugs or pollen, it's nice to skim the crud off quickly. The 1/2 HP will definitely do all the circulation and filtration you need. With a big chlorinator, you can run for relatively few hours 90% of the time, so I don't think total power consumption will be much different. When I was building the pool here, I came to a clear conclusion that 3/4 HP was lots for chemistry and killing algae, but I'm glad I have 1.2 HP for skimming, especially when it's also a bit windy. I also noticed the Hayward is a medium head pump, and a low head pump would be ideal, but anyway, I'm up way too late and going to bed! Hopefully the better pump experts will chime in or say you're good to go and I'm writing too much!

Yeh, the rating of SWCGs by pool volume varies a lot even within manufacturers, so you're not alone in the confusion. Going back to one of your PMs, I feel bad for saying a 15K SWCG is fine for 6,000 gallons, without asking more questions. I should have checked your thread and would have seen 7,000 gallons, but the bigger difference is that your equipment list here mentions Hayward, and that T-3 rating has always concerned me. I'm not bagging out Hayward, because I see the same thing for the Pentair IC15. Anyway, too much detail.

I think of it this way... 1.0 lb per day is good for 10,000 gallons under a wide range of conditions. If the T-3 is 0.53 lbs/day, that makes it a bit small for 7,000 gallons. Plus you have the benefit of longer cell life with the T-9 for not much more $.

The T-3 would work although it might be dictating your pump run time, or requiring chlorinating liquid additions on big swim days or hot spells, and it sounds like you're going to be keeping it pretty warm. The T-9 eliminates all or most of that, plus now knowing it's Hayward, there's no worry about not having enough settings. When I didn't know the brand, I had to consider having only 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% for options, which is troublesome with a way-oversized chlorinator. The Hayward has plenty of steps and will work fine. Don't be surprised if you're running at 10% or 20% a lot of the time!

If for any reason it doesn't work out, you can put in a T-3 when the T-9 wears out. It's just a software setting to change the cell size, and in the meantime you benefit from the small incremental cost to go from a T-3 to a T-9

If you can change stuff, it changes my response, cause I'm a 'what's done is done' responder. I still think you'll be happier with 3/4 HP or even 1 HP, and the reason is skimming. When you want to use the pool and for whatever reason the pool is covered in dead bugs or pollen, it's nice to skim the crud off quickly. The 1/2 HP will definitely do all the circulation and filtration you need. With a big chlorinator, you can run for relatively few hours 90% of the time, so I don't think total power consumption will be much different. When I was building the pool here, I came to a clear conclusion that 3/4 HP was lots for chemistry and killing algae, but I'm glad I have 1.2 HP for skimming, especially when it's also a bit windy. I also noticed the Hayward is a medium head pump, and a low head pump would be ideal, but anyway, I'm up way too late and going to bed! Hopefully the better pump experts will chime in or say you're good to go and I'm writing too much!

You guys are awesome. I have never been one to pinch pennies when designing and building. I always go over the top. This pool will end up costing around $45000 Canadian. For an extra $230, I upgraded to the 25k SWG and 3/4hp motor. Its chicken feed really in the scheme of things. I just didn't have the knowledge to make the best decision and now I do thanks to you guys.

Chris, you can trust us.............we are all sitting around on our couches, in our PJs, with the laptop on our laps! :jocolor:

What we share on here is gained from many years of experience and solid science. We can share the journals articles and papers that have been written if you would like some *light* reading! All we want is for YOUR pool to be the best pool for your family AND for it to be as Trouble Free as possible! I think with all of the advice you have been given you will have an awesome pool!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Chris, you can trust us.............we are all sitting around on our couches, in our PJs, with the laptop on our laps! :jocolor:

WOW, you get a couch!?!? Being only 44 yrs old and living in my mom's basement, all I get is an old plastic lawn chair and a bag of expired cheetos thrown down the steps every once in a while....they even make me pay for my own Mountain Dew....can you believe that!?!?!

But no worries, the advice I give it totally trustworthy....

Chris, I don't disagree with the salt cell discussions here at all.
However, as an ex-pat of the true north, I do urge you to check that your municipality is not planning on adopting the kinds of swg-banning language that Toronto has either already adopted or is looking at. MOE (min of environment) has been concerned about salt for years.

That is why Haward came up with this low salt variant for the Canadian market, I think: AquaRite Low Salt | Hayward Canada

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.