New to Forums - Just signed to build a pool in The Woodlands, TX

Jan 30, 2018
Houston, TX
Hello! This past Saturday we signed a contract to build a pool only (no spa) in our back yard and are excited to finally get one. Attached is a render of the pool we are getting.

Details:

Pool Size: 36x19
Pool Area: 543 SF
Pool Perimeter: 93 ft
Gallons: 15,459
Depth Range: 4.5-5.5-3.5

Filter Pump: Pentair VSF (Variable Speed)
Pool Filter: Pentair CC420P Cartridge
Cleaner Pump: Pentair LAO1N
Water Feature Pump: 3HP Pentair Whisperflo
Controls: Pentair Easytouch 4 with Sreenlogic
Sanitation: Rainbow 320 Chlorinator
Pool Light: Pentair Intellibrite LED (Large)
Pool Main Drains: 4x Anti Entrapment VGB
Pool Skimmers: 2x With leaf basket & tan PVC cover

Pipes: All Schedule 40 PVC 2" and 2.5" solvent weld
Valves 2" x 2.5"
Fill lines: 3/4" Anti-siphon valve with auto fill
Overflow line: Included/tied into deck drainage system

Decking: Travertine Colorado Color
Pebble Sheen
Water Line Tile: Travertine

4 Tons of weeper walls
2 Deck Jets
1 Bubbler on sun shelf
23ft of 12" raised beam / waterfall faced with cultured stone

Those are the majority of the line items on the contract.

Now the biggest question we have remaining is what color pebble sheen??? That has us going back and forth between Blue Surf, Blue Granite, and Tahoe Blue (available in Pebble Sheen in TX).

Thoughts on the color choices for the Pebble or line items from the contract?

This is our first pool build and we with a local contractor as opposed to a national one. Hopefully our gut feeling on who to go with works out as well as we hope.

Jeff

Attachments

• Render.jpg
    Render.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 897
I love that design!! SO pretty!

I would love to see the line drawing that shows the lights, returns, skimmers, etc so I can make sure they are where you will want them.

I LOVE the blue smurf (aka surf) plaster. It is VERY blue!

Will you take and share picture of where the pool will be going? That helps us see what you are working with!

Kim:kim:

ice,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find all the answers to your new build questions... :shark:

A couple of things stand out to me...

Make sure that your pool builder is providing you with a "Real" EasyTouch 4 and not one of the cheap "Lite" versions.. The lite products do not have a built in load center for your circuit breakers and only have about half the functions that the standard versions have... Also, if you decide to go with a saltwater pool, make sure that your EasyTouch comes with the built-in SWCG power supply...

It appears that you plan to sanitize using 3" chlorinated pucks.. This works for vacation and for short periods of time, but is not recommended by this site for long term use.

I suggest that you review our Pool School, Pool School - Pool School , and read our members comments on how tabs can take you down the wrong path...

It also appears that you plan to use a Pressure Side cleaner.. This would be a great idea, if it were not 1970's technology.. :p Pressure side cleaners are like the old black rotary dial telephones our parents used to have... to use them you have to run two pumps and end up with a giant eye-sore taking up half your pool. I would recommend that you step into this century and look at a Robot Cleaner. Here is a good starting thread... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiCkqGNvoDZAhVq_4MKHW41AmsQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.troublefreepool.com%2Fthreads%2F120447-Doheny-s-Discovery-S200-Active20-Triton-owners-club&usg=AOvVaw35cFjdsfGNUS1pItB66-7m

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I love that design!! SO pretty!

I would love to see the line drawing that shows the lights, returns, skimmers, etc so I can make sure they are where you will want them.

I LOVE the blue smurf (aka surf) plaster. It is VERY blue!

Will you take and share picture of where the pool will be going? That helps us see what you are working with!

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the reply. I will post the line drawing when the builder sends it to me. Attached is another view of the pool. We are still debating on the Pebble Sheen and leaning towards Blue Surf. He used black in the pool interior rendering so it will look different when complete. Not nearly as dark.

Jeff

ice,

A couple of things stand out to me...

Make sure that your pool builder is providing you with a "Real" EasyTouch 4 and not one of the cheap "Lite" versions..

It appears that you plan to sanitize using 3" chlorinated pucks.. This works for vacation and for short periods of time, but is not recommended by this site for long term use.

It also appears that you plan to use a Pressure Side cleaner.. This would be a great idea, if it were not 1970's technology.. :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the tips.

I confirmed it is the “real Easy Touch 4 with the builder.

As for Salt Water, you now have me reconsidering my chlorine decision. The downside from the builder is the rock waterfalls on the sides are a sandstone base here in TX and will need to be sealed annually to prevent crystallization in the rock pores and breaking them down over time. I do like the water being easier on the skin and eyes so Salt is getting more attractive.

Now about the pool cleaner. The builder says that the robots are problematic and are not easily repaired. Having said that, I can see on the thread you posted that the modern day cleaners are eviewed very well. I can buy the cleaner separately and not with the pool if I want per the builder.

Any other tips or considerations are greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff,

Just make sure the EasyTouch Model numbers do not have an "L" in them... like PL4 or PSL4.. the "L" means lite.. and just like everything lite, they just do not taste right...:p

I understand about the rock situation, but I suggest you have the pool builder show you some damage in person.. I mean if it happens, he should have plenty of examples.. I would think that water, running over sandstone, would wear it away, whether it was saltwater or not.. You might also keep in mind that all forms of chlorine add salt to your pool, so even in a non-salt pool, there is still plenty of salt in the water.

Most people that have switched from a water powered cleaner to a Robot cleaner are much happier, but not all of them. My guess is that 5 to 10% like their old cleaners better. One of the things I like most about a Robot is that I only have to see it in my pool when I use it. Let's face it, when you look at pictures of pools in magazines, there is a reason that you don't see that ugly pool cleaner... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

So we decided to switch to a Salt Water Chlorine Generator for a number of reasons. Thanks to many comments here as well. I have asked the builder for the model number of the EasyTouch 4 to make sure I do not get the lite version.

And the best part is yesterday they drew the lines in the back yard!
IMG_2900 (1).jpg

Jeff,

Here is a link to a package deal that comes with the EasyTouch, including the internal SWCG power supply, the IC40 salt cell, and two actuators that you can use to control your water features.

Pentair Easy Touch Control System 520543 | Pentair 520543 Your pool builder may not get this exact one, but it will give you an idea of what is out there.

It would be a good idea to talk with your pool builder and ensure that he plumbs the pool so that you can automate the water features. This has to be thought out before the pool is plumbed. Some pool builders try to cut costs by installing "Ball" valves. These valves can not be automated.

There are many reasons to automate water features, but main reason is that continually running a water feature can cause your pH to continually increase. So, to help reduce this increase, you should only run your water features, just when you want.

In my case I have a small waterfall wall with three ports. I only run it when I want, but this means that water in the pipes can stagnate when it is not run for a while. With automation, the answer is simply to schedule the waterfall to come on for a few minutes each day.. And when I want it on to impress my guests, all I have to do is push one icon on my PC.. the valve turns and the pump increases to just the right speed to make the waterfall work the way I want..

You will love ScreenLogic by the way.. it makes programming and using the EasyTouch about 10 x easier than using the main panel itself..

Thanks again for posting, and looking forward to watching your pool build.

Jim R.

Jeff,

Here is a link to a package deal that comes with the EasyTouch, including the internal SWCG power supply, the IC40 salt cell, and two actuators that you can use to control your water features.

You will love ScreenLogic by the way.. it makes programming and using the EasyTouch about 10 x easier than using the main panel itself..

Thanks again for posting, and looking forward to watching your pool build.

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. Yes, the pool builder said he will be automating the water features with the EasyTouch 4 so I can use the app on my iPhone to control the waterfalls. I emailed him this morning about the package of equipment to get model numbers and will pose more when he writes me back.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As Kim and I always champion for, we highly recommend going with a channel main drain that you can have a pebble finish on. One they look great and two, you are guaranteed to not provide any impediment for cleaner to get stuck/delayed on.

http://www.poolfittings.com/

But if you want this, you'll need to inquire ASAP so they can be on-site when needed. They go in right after the hole is dug, just before steel.

I asked the builder about the main drain and will write back with his comments.

We like the location. At first I was concerned it was too close to the house but then realized I did not account for the coping or gunnite that makes the distance good.

Hi, Jeff. With respect to the color, WetEdge has a decent video on their site about choosing a color. Since the product is quite similar to the Pebble products, it's worth a watch. They address different factors that you might not consider, such as influence of pool depth or surrounding materials on color appearance. It didn't help me choose a specific color, but it did help me eliminate some that I thought would be great and consider some I might not otherwise have thought of.

Hi, Jeff. With respect to the color, WetEdge has a decent video on their site about choosing a color.

I watched that last night as a matter of fact. I just found out today from the builder that here in the Houston area we can get Caribbean Blue in Pebble Sheen Level 1. The colors look really nice in the photos we have seen. We have narrowed it down to Caribbean Blue or Blue Surf - now to decide...

Hi Jeff. I live just outside the Woodlands near FM1488 and am starting to meet with PB’s myself. Would you mind DMing me with who you met with and decided to go with? There are so many PB’s it’s mind boggling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.