Step by step agp setup

Windylou

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2017
Groveton, Tx
My plan is to drop my intex 16x32x54 pool in the ground about 3.5 feet. Yes, I know this will void my warranty. I pretty much know everything I need to do, just not the exact order it needs to be in. I’ve had the hole dug, it needs to be leveled & I need to build a retaining wall. I’m planning to fence in our backyard, though it’s not a requirement here. Will the fence need to be bonded with the pool? So do I need to get the fence up first? And what about grounding, etc? Do I just lay the pool out there & have that done first or do I fill it first? I’m also building a deck around the pool, so does that need to be bonded too? And in what order do I do all that? The pool is going to be about 50 feet from the house so a gfci will have to be run out there. And how do I go about finding someone that can do that? I’m just trying to get all of my info early this year so I can plan accordingly.

The pool, equipment, and decking (if steel in concrete) all need to be bonded. The fencing should not need it if it is far enough away.

I am not sure I would build a deck all the way around the pool as this pool may not last long below ground :( The moisture in the ground may cause decay of the material and metal. I would build a deck that could hold a few chairs/loungers on one side of the pool. That will make it easier to replace the pool as needed.

The leveling of the area the pool will sit is THE most important thing you can do. It is also the hardest.

Let us know how it goes! You can start by sharing the hole you dug!

Kim:kim:

If the fence is greater than 5 feet from the wall of the pool it doesn't need to be bonded. Wooden decks do not need to be bonded, if your deck has a metal frame and is closer than 5 feet from the pool wall it will need to be bonded. If you are pouring concrete around the pool you need to have rebar/remesh imbedded in the concrete and you must bond to the steel in multiple places. The rebar/remesh should be tied together with steel wire so that there is a conductive path thru all the steel.

As Kim said plan for replacing the pool don't build anything that is going to be in the way when you need to replace the pool. The intex pools are great and they have proven to be durable but they don't last forever and being in a damp hole in the ground is going to shorten its life.

The easiest time to install the bonding loop around the pool is while you are in the process of leveling out the base of your pool. The bonding loop is #8 bare copper wire buried 3-6 inches down and about 18" from the wall of the pool. Anywhere you have to connect two ends of wire together you need to use a split bolt connector. Intex frames typically can't be bonded because they use a mix of metal and plastic. You will need to bond to the water with a bonding fitting in the plumbing. If you are using an intex pump it won't have a bonding fitting and won't be bonded. If you are using an upgraded pool pump it will have a bond fitting and should be bonded. Regardless you should run a bonding wire that is connected to your bonding loop to your equipment pad for future use if you don't need it now.

At no point do you connect the bonding loop to anything to do with electrical grounding. Pool bonding grids and electrical grounding serve two very different purposes and should not be touching each other.

As for electrical service you will need to bury conduit and run THHN wire from your house to your equipment pad. Direct burial wire in specifically excluded from being used around pools by the current electrical codes. Running conduit and wire is about the same price as direct burial cable but it takes more work to run. You should have 2 separate 20 amp GFCI protected circuits run to your equipment pad. Most any licensed electrician will be able to run the power out to the pool for you. If you can dig the trench for the conduit it will save you a lot of money rather than paying the electrician to do it. If you can find somebody familiar with pool wiring that is a bonus.

Thanks so much, I don’t expect it to last forever. I’m hoping at least 3 years, this is basically a test run to make sure I can maintain a pool properly. I’m thinking the fence will have to be bonded bc it’s going to be right at 5 feet, give or take. I really do want a full deck around it, I’ll see about what it would take when we did have to replace the pool. As of now, I am planning to use the sand filter that came with it. The retaining wall will be wood. So I guess I’m back to my original question, do I need to get the fence up first to bond it with the pool? Or can I do the pool first? And I’m thinking I need to have the gfci outlet and everything already run before I even think about opening the pool?

If your fence is going to be that close and circle the whole pool you will need to bond to it in multiple locations along its length. Its not a big deal you just run a length of wire from the loop around the pool to the fence line and leave the end exposed to connect after the fence is installed. I'm assuming the fence is mead out of metal. If it is a wooden fence it doesn't need to be bonded.

If it were me I would do the pool first and fence second so that you had full access to the pool while building it.

You will need power to your pool pump before you fill the pool. A freshly filled pool with no circulation and bad chemistry can go green in less than a day if its warm enough.

In general you want things to go like this: ( you building inspector may want to do multiple inspections which are not included in this list )

1) Lay out the area the pool is going mark it with stakes and of spray paint the outline of the pool and decks on the ground. Adjust as needed if you don't have room or want it to look different. A LOT of heartache can be saved by laying the pool out first to verify the location of everything before you start digging.

2) Verify you are safe to dig in the area your are going to work. Check for any conduits, pipelines, or septic system components buried under or near where your pool is going.

3) At the same time as steps 1 and 2, consult your local building official and apply for permits if needed. Yes its a pain but it really needs to be done.

4) Start your site work. Dig your site down to level ground don't add fill to low spots.

5) A- Rough in electrical, dig your trenches and bury the conduit.
B- Rough in bonding grid, bury the loop around the pool and run branch wires from the loop to all the connection points you will need. Mark the ends of branch wires so they are easy to find later.
C- Rough in any buried plumbing you may want if you are doing that

6) Finish site work not yet completed that you can't complete after the pool is set

7) Final level of your pool base. Rake or backdrag the pool base to within 1" of level make sure to extend the level area 1 foot beyond where the supports and blocking go. Consult the instructions for the pool it will tell you the rough dimensions.

8) Skim coat the base of the pool with up to 2" of clean washed sand. Compact the sand with a heavy roller of plate compactor and get are as close to perfectly level as possible. +/- 1/2"

9) Follow the instructions for the pool to start setting it up and placing the concrete support blocks. Set the blocks into the base so the tops of the blocks are flush to the surface of the sand. Also make sure all the tops of the block are perfectly level to each other

10) If not already done finish getting the equipment pad set up and electrical wiring done and turn on the power. Set pump and filter so they are ready to go.

11) Setup the pool, make plumbing connections (don't forget your water bonding fitting), and fill with water.

12) As soon as there is enough water in the pool to get the pump going start the pump and test your water. Start dissolving the CYA as soon as the pump is running. You will have 0 CYA to start so you can add the enough based on the amount of water in the pol to get you to 20-30ppm. Based on test results (you ordered your TF-100 kit already right) add what is needed to bring FC up and balance the pH and TA.

13) Finish the rest of the site work, build decks and fences, and final landscaping (don't forget to make bonding connections as you go where needed)

14) Put on your suit have an adult beverage ( if you like those sorts of things ) and start enjoying all your hard work

This is a very generic list and doesn't cover all the options or steps involved. Make sure to read the instructions for the pool and equipment before you start the job so you understand all the steps involved. As questions come up feel free to ask questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.