Has anybody tried wheels on BBQ Island?

Jul 31, 2009
San Diego
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I've been reading all the previous topics and replys and I have not been able to find anything about someone adding castor wheels to the bottom of the island? I've searched the web with no luck as well?

You guys have given me some great ideas that will help me tremenously, trex feet, steel stud framing etc. and I figure this is the best forum to post this question? My plan is since I have a small slate patio 20x16 I want a small L shaped island that can be moved around if I need more space etc. The plan is to build the island in three modules on wheels so that everything can be moved around etc. and then reassembled.

I'm going to build the frame with steel 25g studs and 1/2 hardi for the floor with cross members to help support the weight. I'm using a Cal flame 4 burner unit that is about 150lbs. and plan on using granite tile for the top and stucco for the sides to keep the weight down. I've researched the wheels and found some nice wheels that support 350lbs ea at the big orange box and some heavy duty wheels from castorcity.com.

The middle module will be about 5ft x 5ft with a 45 degree angle for the grill, if that makes sense? And both sides will be 3ft rectangle. So the L shape is basically 8ftx8ft. Is this doable?

Has anyone done this before and what are the tips you can give me? If it can't be done then I can always build the island on the ground but if I use 5" high wheels that makes a big difference in height of the island?

Thanks so much, I'll be taking pics as I progress.

The purpose of the wheels is so I can change the configuration depending upon the occasion. I can rotate the L so it's more of a bar counter in the center of the patio or if I want it out of the way I can rotate the L 180 degrees so it's more in the corner of the patio? Does this make sense?

I also talked to Owen at Castercity.com and people do this all the time with islands. I should know because I ordered castors from him for my kitchen island with a granite top and it works/looks great. I get so many compliments on the functionality I thought it's a great Idea for the BBQ island as well.

How often do you expect to move this? Once I planned mine, I never had or wanted to move mine even though I can with 4 strong friends.
You are looking at maybe a $1000 in casters that might last 2-3 years with the weight. You will get flat spots over time it not moved often.

Well, that's what I wondering how much I'll move this thing, but casters are only 6 bucks each according to Owen and they will not fade in the sun or develop flat spots. http://www.castercity.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=3PB3x1-1/4-S&ReturnTo=../cm3.htm

He said if I used anything else the rubber may deteriorate or develop flat spots over time just like you mentioned. He also said I could go with the same type that support 900lbs each, that would be a little over kill but they would never have any issues?

I may not move the thing often but if I can design the islands height ahead of time with wheels then if I don't move it oh well, if I do then just spin it around. I'd rather have the option but my concern is more about the construction of the metal studs, I need to make some cross member so the island doesn't twist.

I thought I would have a few people chime in that have already done this? I may end up just making the counter height just a little lower and put extra trex feet on so if I ever wanted to add casters later I could?

What is the standard counter height? 36" or 40"? What about the stand bar height 45"?

Thanks

If you want to know how high, go to your stove in the kitchen and that is how high the grilltop should be. I have seen what a lot of 7' tall guys do and their 5' tall wives have to stand on a stool to cook.

I am exagerating, but the point is you will most likely make it too tall unless you consider standards and others that may have occasion to use it.

Your friend is obviously not very knowlegable on casters. My best friend represented Colson Casters he often told me about how much money he made off people who thought a $6 caster would do what a $100 caster was designed to do.

I know of maybe a 1000 Islands, none have casters. Take lots of pictures and make sure you reinforce the bottom with 1/4" steel plate where the caster has to be bolted in. The frame around the perifery of your island will need to be 2' X 2" angle iron to distribute the weight and support it while rolling.

DrDave,

I see you are located in escondido, I'm in Carmel Valley, not too far from you. You are more than welcome to come by and see the progress in person and give me some advice. You are much more experienced than I and I definately need advice. I'm going back and forth with the design, casters, no casters, firepit? too many options.

I'll also try to take pics because a picture is worth 1000 words.

Thanks for the advice.

mbiker_101 said:
DrDave,

I see you are located in escondido, I'm in Carmel Valley, not too far from you. You are more than welcome to come by and see the progress in person and give me some advice. You are much more experienced than I and I definately need advice. I'm going back and forth with the design, casters, no casters, firepit? too many options.

I'll also try to take pics because a picture is worth 1000 words.

Thanks for the advice.

Please go to the User Control Panel and add your location.

My personal email is on my web site as a mail link, send me your address and phone number. If I can get away, I will stop by. I have about 4000 baby Koi in my ponds and tanks that keep me busy when I am not showing them to folks. My other passion is Pond Gardens and Koi.

Ok here is the framed up island on wheels. It is looking really good so far and it's really sturdy.
Built the frame bottom with Trex and 3/4in plywood to keep everything together, then reinforced the bottom with Steel 2.5in frame. It helps distribute the weight across the bottom of the island.

bbqisland01desktopresol.jpg

Another pic with the bar counter.

bbqisland02desktopresol.jpg

Here is a pic of the bottom and how we attached the wheels. I only installed 4 wheels now but plan on mounting 6 total if need be for support.

bbqbottom01.jpg

I think it will be ok with just the 4 wheels, the support 350lbs each. Really easy to roll on the slate as well, give me numerous options with the back patio. I have a fire pit on the other side that I can use the Gas line there as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.