calcium chloride?

pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

CH - Calcium Hardness

Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. Calcium chloride is available in some areas as PELADOW, DOWFLAKE, or DOWFLAKE Xtra, sold as a deicer by hardware stores and some big box stores. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

duraleigh said:
Is there a cheaper way to buy this stuff opposed to buying at pool store.
Sorry to be a busy body, but did you need it in that fiberglass pool?
Dave,
Yes you do!
It helps prevent cobalt spotting (only fiberglass gets that!) and helps with fiberglass's tendency to stain from iron.

I buy it by the 50 lb bag, it's cheapest that way. If you keep it sealed it lasts forever (not joking). I have gone through a bag in about 5 years now. My fill water from my water company is now 1/2 RO water so the CH is only about 200 ppm and I keep my pool at 300-350 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.