Test chemistry while winterized?

miles267

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2016
Arkansas
My first winter with an IGP. Had pool pump running 24/7 for entire season with perfectly balanced water until temps dropped dangerously low around New Years. Day and night temps were 0-4F and water was rapidly freezing despite pump running. Even had tarp over equipment pad with 60W bulbs.

Needless to say, had PB drain equipment and clear pipes in very cold weather as a precaution. Though water was too frozen to drain. Once it thawed I was able to pump out water down just below the tile line and remove skimmer baskets. Still water in the skimmers themselves.

Have opted to keep it “winterized” as the weather has been unseasonably warm/cold and don’t want to risk re-opening only to have another freeze spell.

Am so disappointed as I had immaculate chemistry and crystal clear water.

I’ve not been able to test water chemistry since pool surface has been frozen solid. Now that it’s thawed, should I still be checking chemistry and adding liquid chlorine or acid though pump no longer running?

Here is our link to closing a pool for the winter:

Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

I wanted to share that just so you have it. The one thing I would do is stick some pool noodle or such in your skimmer to help keep it from cracking from the ice. There are many ideas how to do it. Do a search in the white box at the top of this page.

That is some burrr weather for it to freeze with the pump running :shock:

I would not mess too much with the chemicals unless you have a submersible pump to help mix it up. Even then you will also need to brush the pool to get it all moved around good as well. You could also walk all around the pool with a straw broom or boat paddle to make a whirl pool then pour the chemical in and do some more walking.

What I would do is keep a close eye on the water temp. As it gets closer to 55 then start looking into opening it back up and getting it balanced again.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim. Very helpful! Was going to construct the pool noodle method in skimmers. Also considered throwing in a series of plastic, gallon milk jugs 1/3 full of antifreeze at the pool surface as a precaution. Perhaps 5 or so. Am forming a collection.

If that would be helpful?

Now that is an interesting idea. Tell me if I am thinking what you are thinking............if you put the antifreeze jugs in the pool, floating on the surface, you are thinking it will help keep the surface from freezing? That is something to think about...............Lets see what others have to say about this idea.

Kim:kim:

Kim, not exactly. Was hoping the plastic gallon jugs would absorb the pressure from ice forming, similar to how large inflatable floats work on surface of above ground pools. Unfortunately impossible to prevent ice from forming. Just thought it might exert pressure inward on the containers. Not worth doing?

Every year our pool turns into a solid block of ice in the Ohio winters. As long as your plumbing/equipment is winterized correctly I highly doubt you’ll see any damage from the ice. I personally wouldn’t worry about the milk jugs.

As for testing and dosing to keep your pool clear,
This is risky as you don’t truely know your test results without running the pump some before testing. Adding a few extra PPM’s of FC wouldn’t hurt but I’d avoid adding acid or anything. It’s just not worth it.

Appreciate the suggestions. Today I filled 2 gallon milk jugs 1/3 each with marine antifreeze and added some sand for weight and placed them in each of my skimmers. Didn’t have any pool noodles. Also these milk jugs are about the size of my skimmers. Hope they will be a good safeguard if ever the pool freezes again this winter.

My pool was professionally winterized and both of my skimmers had a gallon just put in it just like you describe to absorb any pressure from ice should it form.

The container method is also used by some as noted on THIS THREAD. With the crazy weather this year, it's probably best to be safe and protect the investment. We're all learning a few new things this year. :)

I bet around the fall time when the swim season is ending I bet a lot of members in southern states winterize their pool for the first time in lieu of this winter weather.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bet around the fall time when the swim season is ending I bet a lot of members in southern states winterize their pool for the first time in lieu of this winter weather.
You got that right! Even here around San Antonio, I ended-up putting some pool noodles in the skimmer for about a week and wrapping all of my equipment. My concept of laid-back winter maintenance just got a little more interesting.

After this season, I intend to winterize from now on for peace of mind. Weather has become so unpredictable, just not worth the risk.

Had I simply left pool equipment running this year, in the south, until the 0 temps subsided, it would’ve been too late.

While skimmer leaves today and doing a little bit of brushing, I noticed on the top, horizontal surface of my top step (shallow end of pool), what appears to be a bit of abrasion to the diamond brite surface of the first step into the pool. It’s not nearly as smooth as it was before the pool froze for the first time back in early January.

Is this normal? Or just typical wear and tear of a newer pool?

The top, flat surface of the first step is approximately 1 inch below the bottom of the title line.

I had to drain my pool water down to just the bottom of the tile line to prevent ice damage to the decorative glass tiles. As a regular the water is a bit shallow above this step and entire surface of pool had several inches of ice for a week or so.

When ice melted, I noticed quite a bit of diamond brite “dust” (grains of the quartz plaster) lying on the top step surface while I was cleaning pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.