Spa Foaming Up. What do I do?

Bunch of questions for you, but it should let us help you find the root cause of the foaming.

When was the last time you drained?
Did you do any kind of purge when you drained (ahh-some or similar product)?
Chlorine or bromine?
And finally, what are the current test numbers?

The spa was newly installed in late November, so I’ve only had it like 2 months. I have not drained the water at all.

Total Chlorine 10
CC was like 1.5
CYA was pretty high. Like 110.
TA was about 70
CH was around 120.
My pH was lowish too. Around 7.1-7.2.

New spas should be purged prior to use. The water used to pressure test it at the factory sits in the plumbing and creates biofilms during transport and storage.

Run a purge with Ahh-some at least once, maybe twice, until clean.

Take care.

Hmmm, the first thing that jumps out at me is that your CYA is over 100 after only 2 months. You might want to make a change to your spa care routine to avoid that happening in the future or you are going to need to dump the water every couple of months.

I agree with Marty, a purge and drain (or potentially two) is your best answer right now.

I suspect that foam comes from partially broken down oils from peoples skin and scalp/hair. Chlorine breaks this stuff down off your body, but doesn't fully break it down very fast. It leaves a oily surface on the water that likes to form bubbles.

It's especially noticeable with people that use oily skin lotions.

You can reduce it by two ways primarily.

1. You can shower and scrub real good with soap, and make sure to rinse off the soap residue real good before you get in the tub.

2. You can remove the foam with a pool net. Scoop it off. It will go away when you remove it like this.

Also note: if you are getting dark colored scummy foam, that is bio-film coming from your plumbing. This stuff consumes chlorine and harbors bacteria that the chlorine can't get at. This leads to "hot tub itch" and other more serious health consequences. Ah-some makes a product that is helpful in breaking up these films. Probably 80% of the discussion on this forum is people recommending this stuff. My experience is that it works, but only temporally. The bio-films grow back.

If you are not currently using bleach as part of your chlorination methods, you should start. It allows you to chlorinate without raising CYA levels any higher.

One thing I noticed, too....I went out and took a look at the filters on the spa. I lifted them out. They didn't look really scummy or anything. As I went to replace the one filter, though, I noticed what was like a cakey ring underneath the filter. It was white, and felt like wet bread. I scooped out as much as I could by hand, but it was falling apart a little bit. Hoping that wasn't anything too bad.

I have ordered some Ahhh-some (along with some other testing supplies I was running low on). I will have an update once I've used the product.

With Ahhh-some, is it necessary to do a complete drain and fill? Will I use the product and then drain it after all the gunk has been broken down?

When you use the Ahh-some you run the system for a specified amount of time with filters out of the housing but in the spa and then drain/refill. An Ahh-some rep is a forum member. So if questions you can PM them.

Can you put what test kit you are using in your signature?

Take care.

Mknauss is spot on. Flush the hot tub with Ahh-Some. Just add this to the filled and hot tub with the filters removed from the filter area and place them inside the hot tub. Hose them off initially as well. Do NOT use more than 3 LEVEL teaspoons of gel. This is very concentrated. Tubs under 300 gallons need only 2 Level Teaspoons to do the job. Flush for 15-20 minutes and then unplug the hot tub. Drain the water as complete as you can. Rinse the shell and wipe off all the detritus gunk that may be sticking to the shell. Hose off the filter(s)and replace back into the filter well. Always begin filling the hot tub with water going into the filter well so the pumps will pick up an immediate prime when the hot tub is restarted. Also, forgot to mention. Remove any pillows that are capable of being removed. The biofilm that will be purged can stain pillows and head rests. If you can’t remove them be sure to wipe them repeatedly as the bio-gunk is released into the hot tub. Lastly, get the new water balanced and set to go with adequate sanitizer. The good news is that the Ahh-Some is now available on the TFTestkits.net website. They ship ASAP and are very good people. Good luck on your foam problem. It also sounds like you may have some white water mold. Not to worry. The purge will get rid of this as well. Going forward you will notice that your water clarity will be spectacular and time needed for maintenance issues will be minimal. Be sure to flush Nd drain at least twice a year for best results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.