Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA question

Ok I have converted my sister to the BBB method, also got her to get a TF100 test kit. She was having trouble keeping the FC (1.5) level up and CC was also running high(1.5). Pool was starting to turn a little green. We were trying to go to shock level based on the reading from the Store, "CYA level of 100". Well the pool was getting better like really quick . Well to make a long story short, I was over there this weekend and did the CYA check with the TF100 kit. Well the CYA actually measured <20 I could fill the tube completely to the top and still see the black dot very clearly. So I take it the Store measurement is wayyyyyyyyyy off.
    Told her to get conditioner to bring it up to 25-30 and she should be ok.

Anyone else run into this????

YBnorman...have a pool
    15' x 30' Beachland AG Pool (12000 gal.)
    Hayward 1 HP Power-Flo LX Pump
    Hayward 18" Sand Filtration System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA question

virtually everyone here has a stupid pool store testing story. is there are reason you're kind of shooting under 30-50? I would definitely want at least 30 in there, maybe shoot for 50 and add 2/3 of whatever that would be.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA question

I'm having good luck with mine at 25 is the only reason. I think her pool is the same size as mine (15x30) but hers has a deeper end. Couln't really tell but I think it is 6 or 7 ft. The store we use sells 4LB containers so I figured hers would be around 25 CYA only buying the 4LB. bucket, plus the shock level would be a tad bit lower. She almost had a cow when we were going to shock when we thought her CYA was 100 with bleach That is the only reason, will post what her results are after the addition. Told her to use the sock method and put it in front of the return.

YBnormal...have a pool
    15' x 30' Beachland AG Pool (12000 gal.)
    Hayward 1 HP Power-Flo LX Pump
    Hayward 18" Sand Filtration System