Dumb Bleach measurement question

Jun 9, 2009
Huntsville, AL
Just curious how others are measuring your bleach. Whe the pool calculator says say I need 87 oz of Bleach is there a conversion I can weigh out there correct amount? Right now when it says add that much I try to just go with a half bottle of 182 oz bottle.

Thanks,
YBnormal...have a pool

As said prior, it ain't that critical, however, If you're using the Pool Calculator when it gives you the result, pass your mouse over it and read the resulting Gal, Qts, Cups, Oz, measurement in the box that says "Mouse over a field for detail" out beside it.

I read on here somewhere last year with this advice: Get a two-quart plastic pitcher and mark the outside at the 1/2 quart intervals. This has worked well for me, especially since I add the bleach through the skimmer. I'll pour bleach to the first mark (1/2 qt), scoop up to fill the rest with pool water and pour it into the skimmer. But I don't use that much bleach - so my process is pretty quick. Others may need more bleach and may find this a bit cumbersome. While I prefer adding my bleach through the skimmer, I take the precaution of watering it down before adding it.

Livinright said:
Just dump it in from a plastic measuring cup :)
In a small pool like yours, Livinright, "just dump it in" would probably work.

With larger pools adding multiple cups up to significant fractions (or even entire) jugs, you want to pour slowly in front of a return jet (don't want bleach "puddling" on the bottom risking damage to the pool surface). I measure out a cup, then pour in a dollop (1/4-1/3 c.) wait a few sec for the jet to disperse it a bit, and repeat.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Okay, I guess you're right if you are that clumsy you should use plastic. :lol: :mrgreen: :wink:
Clumsy has nothing to do with it. You have an AGP with what, a wood deck? Can't remember.... nice soft surfaces anyway. Mine's plaster with tile and flagstone surround, I don't let any glass on there anywhere. Even a sturdy pyrex cup can chip and even the least clumsy can have a mishap. Sorry to have no sense of humor about this but I've stepped on glass one too many times.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of the best tidbits of wisdom I found here so far was the fact that one gallon of xx% bleach will raise your FC by xx (the same amount) per 10000 gallons. Since your pool is 20% larger than 10000 gal you'd see 20% less increase than I would, for example.
For your pool, one gal of 5.25% bleach will raise the TC by ~4ppm (a handy amount, indeed) - guesstimate 1/4 gal for every 1ppm you need to go up.
If you use Ultra, it's 6% and sold in smaller 48 oz bottles (about 1/3 gal roughly), so one would raise 10000 gal roughly 2 ppm. As was mentioned above, it doesn't have to be exact...

Dan

Edited the 1st line to make it clearer

I use five gallon carboys of 12%. For my pool, I took a DE scoop and marked it for 1 ppm (28oz. in my pool). I never use Pool Calculator for Cl now. Subtractions of numbers less than 10 I can handle in my head. I just pour in the number of scoops equal to the ppm rise I want. MA I just pour from the gallon. A dose is 1/3 bottle. Takes me from pH too high to just right. No Pool Calc there either. I'm a KISS guy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.